soloing with a 3-yr.-old

Don

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I finally got my 3 year old out in the Otca. We did quite well going down a cove with the wind, paddling from the stern seat. Once we turned around, I had to climb over him into the bow to paddle. The wind was so strong that the boat weathervaned even after getting up a good speed it was very hard controlling the boat. Then I got mom to take the stern and it was much better.
Anyway, in a couple weeks we are going on vacation in the Adirondacks and I will be hauling the kayak on the roof, since I will be doing some solo paddlling and still have not mastered a 16-foot Otca in a good wind. I know I can get the kayak down to the end of the lake in about 25 minutes. There is some good pickerel fishing down there.
And the 3 year old likes to fish. He caught his first fish on Saturday. Actually two white perch.

pics for posterity...

Some of my favorite pictures are ones an elderly person shows me of himself as a small child, sitting in the family canoe--- which looks the same today as it did decades ago (not so, the man!).

I think it helps preserve the canoe: such pictures help members of a family feel more attached to the ol' boat Grandpa paddled as a kid-- and they are maybe more likely to consider it with respect that will keep it from the burn pile... and maybe they'll even paddle it and cherish it themselves.

Ahhh, Kodak moments...

Back