So Many Canoes, So Little Time

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
So, it appears that I will be a boatbuilder-in-residence at a prominent maritime museum that happens to be located 8 miles up the road in Clayton, for three days a week or so. It starts in a couple of weeks, and the quandary is, what to build?

The parameters are that it needs to be interesting, both to me and museum visitors, steady progress should be made, and it should be traditional construction. Some of the options are:

1 - Reproduction of a circa 1881 Rushton hunting canoe, 14' lapstrake open paddling canoe,

2 - reproduction of a Rushton Indian all-wood smooth skin lapstrake paddling canoe (on a solid mold that would also permit canvas covered Indians to be built)

3 - Reproduction of a circa 1885 Rushton Mohican decked sailing canoe

4 - something completely different, like Paul Butler's 16-30 decked sailing canoe Fly using plans and details from old Forest and Stream articles, or one of the many canoes in W.P. Stephens's Canoe and Boatbuilding - A Complete Manual for Amateurs.

Life is good! :cool:

I'd go with #3 as well. (For purely selfish reasons... email me!) Seriously though, I think anything Rushton would appeal to the largest audience amongst the museum visitors. Of the 3 choices, it makes the most sense to do the Indian. Double the bang for your buck, and it also provides the opportunity to possibly generate funds via classes or raffles.

provides the opportunity to possibly generate funds via classes or raffles.

I should mention that while the work takes place on exhibit at the museum, it is my own work, and I keep (or sell) what I build.

And whichever project I don't do at the museum can be done in my own shop,which should be fully functional by fall.

Something different, but most definitely a sailing canoe since Clayton has the largest collection. Draw in the small craft people and the yachtsmen with Uncle Sam by Crowninshield, or that Herreshoff plan thats likely never been built. Just sayin.....

Attachments

• uncle_sam_sheer.gif
    uncle_sam_sheer.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 341
Never was able to break loose a set of the Herreshoff plans from Mystic. Not for lack of trying.

I do have Uffa's original drawings for Gallant.

Wow, i thought with Ben being a sailing canoe fan that wouldnt have been a problem. I'll give you the plans for Wake then!

If you want to build something that has never been done before then how about the Alden design number 544?

Benson

Attachments

• Aden-544a.jpg
    Aden-544a.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Aden-544b.jpg
    Aden-544b.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Aden-544c.jpg
    Aden-544c.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Aden-544d.jpg
    Aden-544d.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 323
Ben hasn't been there for years.

I have Wake drawings, just copies, not the originals though.

Sure, but he's not banned right? lol Wake would represent a pretty pivotal spot along the evolutionary ladder, and it might be nice to plane for a change!

Attachments

• wake.jpg
    wake.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 324
Oh, DAN.....definitely a repro of a JR WILLIAMS 17 foota, with the cast bronze tag ala MILLER'S REPRODUCTION.

Dan, I am probably the "Lone Ranger" here, but I vote for door number one.

I remember you and I have always had an interest in this very fine canoe!

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. Tough choice, though all can get done with time.

SWMBO cast the deciding vote. I'm going to reproduce the 15' Rushton Mohican sailing canoe. I'll be blogging the build somewhere. If you are in Clayton, stop in and see progress.

Attachments

• ABM144 Marion B 800.jpg
    ABM144 Marion B 800.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 339
I would love to subscribe to that blog, if I knew where to look.

Soon as I know, I will post it here. Could be a build thread here or my own website or ???

I'll be getting started as soon as I get back from helping Geoffrey and friends build the Burly Lassie for the PSC Fundraiser next week.

Back