Small canvas repair on cedar

Eric Charles

Curious about Wooden Canoes
On the edge of my kiel , I just noticed the canvas lost its bond for approximatley 2in x 1/4 depth, between the wood(cedar) and the egde of the kiel , what should I use for rebonding . man i am glad i saw that , it was barely barely noticeable til i passed my hand over it in my final inspection. I was going to varnish tomorrow .

it sounds as if the canvas is torn under the keel and is pulling away. A quick and dirty fix is gorilla tape, but it's real temporary and may not work. paint over it and you'll get a few more miles. A proper fix would require the removal of the keel, patch the canvas and reattach the keel. But it sounds like it's about ready for new canvas? The canvas isn't usually bonded to the canoe, just stretched tight over it

On the edge of my kiel , I just noticed the canvas lost its bond for approximatley 2in x 1/4 depth, between the wood(cedar) and the egde of the kiel ,

:confused: In your other thread, you said your canoe is fiberglassed, here it is canvas... which is it? Repairs will be different, depending. :confused:

I did not see the other post. It makes sense that fiberglass would split at that location and lose its bond to the wood. Ive seen that before. I'm guessin' it's 'glass?

Ok sorry , i am new to this whole Canoe repair , its wooven fibres , ive heard some people say canvas and some fiberglass , I will take a picture of it and post it ok

Picture 001.jpg

here it is

pic of the repair itself to be done .

Now i just talked to my dad , and hes the culprit for this , drove the scrapper down too much and undid the bond , anyhow ive cleaned it all , , the wetness you see is a lil bit of mineral spirits to clean my area , ohhh and my brass kiel guard fits right snug over this

So i cleaned out what was between the fiberglass and cedar , now Im sure if i can get some high quality marine 2 part epoxy , with a small clamp to apply pressure, im sure it would be a perfect repair ,
Picture 002.jpg,

Back