serial number search

Mike Quenville

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just recently purchased an older wooden canoe. Although the serial number is hard to read, I believe it is 124755 16.

Can anyone provide any information about the canoe ? The inside is in good condition, but the outside needs some work. I am hoping to refinish. Any idea on value "as is" or refinished ? Thanks for any information.

Mike Q
________
easy vape vaporizer
________
VAPORTOWER

Last edited:
Ot 124755 16

Mike,

If the SN is correct, you have a 16' model HW ( heavy water) in CS (common sense) grade that was shipped to New York on June 20, 1938. It was built with spruce gunwales and ash seats, thwarts, decks and included a keel. The original color was dark green. A build record is attached.

If not already a member of the WCHA, please consider joining to help support this service and other valuable services offered here. Your restoration project can be assisted by the members of this forum...expert advice from the experts!
As far as value, look back through the archives and contents for some advice.

Good luck with your new (old) canoe!

Ric Altfather

Attachments

• 41456.jpg
    41456.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 280
1938 old town CW 16 ft

Thanks for the information Ric. The history indicates that it was originally a dark green canoe. Apparently, someone must have refishined it as it now has a clear (not so clear) finish on it. All of the other spec 's seem to match. I am trying to figure out whether it makes sense to have the canoe professionally refinished or whether I can do it myself without too many headaches ? I assume it can be quite costly to have it professionally refinished ? Any advice ? I have just sent in my membership application today ! Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks
________
X HAMSTER

Last edited:
I took a quick look (just for practice) and found that there was a back to the build record - it was sent back for a paint problem in 1938. There was also an inquiry about this boat from someone in the Syracuse NY area in 1981.

Regarding your restoration question, you have come to the right place. We have plenty of professionals to do the work for you and pleanty of good advice for the do-it-yourself types. Depending on where you are located, there may be someone local to give you advice. Are you in the Syracuse area?

Thanks for joining and welcome to WCHA.

Attachments

• 124755back.gif
    124755back.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 240
Thanks for the info. I am located in Oswego. I purchased the canoe at a neighbors garage sale. I noticed the canoe and thought it was quite a work of art. The inside is in great shape, but the outside needs refinishing. There is one small hole in the side as well. I think it has a lot of potential. My dad had an old wooden thompson boat when I was growing up and the ribs on this canoe reminded me of that boat. Judging from the information you found, it appears that there was a problem with the paint. Do you think the company would have stripped the paint and refinished it clear ? Judging from the looks of it, it most likely was done by do it yourselfer. Any guess on value "as is " or if it was professionally finished ?
________
BIG TITS VIDEO

Last edited:
These boats were covered by canvas with a hard filler, usually made of fine silica, white lead and oil. They were then painted.

Sight unseen, it is hard to judge. If I were a betting man, sounds to me like the canvas was removed from your canoe and it was fiberglassed and finished with a clear resin and varnish. That was not done by Old Town, at least according to the build record. Sounds more like a DIY job.

Although there are differing opinions, many people, myself included consider this a bad move. A wooden canoe is designed to move as the wood fibers in the planking and ribs change from moisture variations due to humidity and immersion in water. In a boat that has been glassed, one side (outside) of the wood is sealed and locked in place. The other side (inside) is still free to swell and flex. The tension between the two sides causes obvious problems.

For information on value, take a look at the FAQ section of the forum. If this boat is fiberglassed, the value would be greatly lessened.

Too many Mike's...

Mike Q,

I agree with Mike C., that it sounds like fiberglass and that can be bad or at best, troublesome. As far as restoration, it's not too difficult, materials are reasonable but what you have to determine is your time...do you have enough of it? Ask anybody on this forum about the time factor, I believe we all have one of these projects hanging in the rafters. So, if you want to get out on the water which is the ultimate goal here you should at least get in touch with one of the builder/restorers here for comparison...it may not be that expensive based on the worth of your time. Check with a local chapter also, may be a good way for you to offer your canoe as a group learning project. Do some digging around in the forum archives and table of contents...there is a wealth of info available. Thanks for joining the WCHA.

Best of luck,

Ric (no Mike)

Thanks for the reminder on chapters, Ric. Mike Q, you have a very strong chapter that meets in the Rochester area. Contact:

Western New York - Chapter 1
Pat Willsea
6609 Liberty Pole Road
Dansville, NY 14437
716-669-2376

Too bad you didn't find us about a week ago - Last weekend Ric & I were there joining another 300-400 wooden canoe enthusiasts along with some really FINE boats at our annual Assembly at Keuka College. You could have made it in about an hour or so! As they say, timing is everything!

Back