Serial number search, please

Jim Cantwell

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just purchased Old Town SN 178472-15. Can someone give me any info on it? It came with 2 original paddles that are awesome. One has an 11" wide blade with original decal (small Old Town). Thanks , Jim Cantwell

Last edited:
Jim,

Old Town #178472 belonged to a 15-foot Trapper model that was built in 1967 and sent to Danvers, Mass. It had a keel. Instead of canvas, it had fiberglass, two 6-oz. layers according to the build record. The finish was clear.

If you have a photo of this canoe today, I'd love to see it.

The scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you and anyone else reading this will join or renew membership in the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Norm

Attachments

• 178472.jpg
    178472.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 200
Norm. Thanks for the info. I will take a few pix and post them here. It is still original as shipped, but in need of varnish, inside and out. It has some dry rot in several places on the outwhales, with a bad attempt to putty over. Also the thwart is broken and glued. When whatever happened to the thwart occurred both inwhales split long ways, but not completely through. Good news, in the rain this afternoon, I went out to check something and saw that the outside, when wet, looked beautiful, so I assume that some sanding and varnishing should really spruce up the old gal. Again thanks for info. Regards, Jim...ps. I'm joining the WCHA as soon as the "Assembly" is finished and folks are around to process my request. pps. I live in Hamilton. Are you close?

Last edited:
Jim,

Yes, rain will do that. The reason fiberglass is clear is because the varnish works like rain. With some light sanding and a new coat of varnish, the fiberglass will disappear again. If it has been stored outside without a cover, however, you may have UV deterioration in the glass. Let's see some pictures!

I'm in Greenfield, Mass. Is Hamilton near Ipswich?

Norm

Norm

Thanks again, Norm. Yes just South of Ipswich. Fortunately the canoe has been stored in a garage, and not exposed to the sun, except when used. It just has honest wear. Although some of the thread pattern show, they are not worn into and the surface which is pretty much smooth to the touch. I bought it off of Craigs List, from Nephew of deceased original owner, who resides in Quincy. So it didn't travel very far from original delivery site. (Can't upload pix, Norm. Stupid old man...Put them in Photobucket and then downloaded to here, but the cursed "red X" keeps showing it's ugly face). I'll have another go at it, later. Or you can go to my Photobucket page JimCntwll and take a look. Regards, Jim...

Last edited:
1967 15' OT Trapper photos

Trying again, Norm LOL. The two paddles are original to boat. The larger one's blade measures over 11" wide. What was it intended for? Maybe to dock ocean liners?:confused: Jim... Just noticed in previous posting I turned wales into whales. Newbeeites, I guess. I also just noticed that it was registered at one time in MS. Guess it did stray far from original home. capecod-niagra2011 153.jpgcapecod-niagra2011 155.jpgcapecod-niagra2011 151.jpgcapecod-niagra2011 152.jpgcapecod-niagra2011 159.jpg

Last edited:
That large paddle is often referred to as a "Sugar Island paddle" and would be used for steering a sailing canoe. Sugar Island is the American Canoe Association base in the Thousand Islands in the St. Lawrence River.

Back