serial number search for old Town #172034

msmith

Can someone provide information on, or the build record for Old Town #172034. My Dad's friend bought it used several years ago, with sailing rig, in what was reported to be original condition. The canvas skin is intact, and appears to have been a light yellow color, although it is mottled, now. The sailing rig included leeboards, mast and gaff with sail (now mouse eaten and tattered) and a rudder, I believe. The gaff has a gooseneck connection, but there is no obvious mating connection on the mast. All fittings are bronze and in good shape. What parts made up the original sailing rig?

msmith

Thanks, Dan. It looks like we have all of the parts.

Anyone else with info on Old Town serial number 172034?

OT canoe # 172034 is a 16' Otca model shipped 2 July 1962 to Norwich, CT. It is hard to say from the build record just what grade it is, or much else about the materials used, as the build record appears blank or very feint. The original color was OT yellow, so that seems to tie in with what you have. The build card does not show any reference to sailing equipment, but that could have been added at some later point. The build record is attached below.

Hope this helps.

Roger Y.

Attachments

• 74493.gif
    74493.gif
    49.3 KB · Views: 258
Roger Young said:
It is hard to say from the build record just what grade it is, or much else about the materials used, as the build record appears blank or very feint.

This is typical for build records from that era. They stopped offering different grades in the 1956 catalog. The amount of detail on the build records dropped as well over this period. I suspect that there is nothing missing in the scan.

Benson

Old Town #172034

Thanks, both.

It's always nice to know a little of the history behind the craft.
Too bad the build record is silent on several features, but based on the build record paint color and its current condition, it appears to be original, with no significant alterations.

Thanks again.

Back