Serial Number Inquiry

ksquared

I recently aquired a wooden canoe I'm hoping to restore. The bow and stern are stamped with "16 1058". I'm not even sure of the manufacturer ( I pressume Old Town) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kevin K.
Sterling, MA

Often wood/canvas canoes are called Old Towns, like all colas are called Coke.
With a serial number sequence like you posted, it is unlikely an Old Town.
If you can post photos, we will be able to figure out what you have, and possibly some idea of age.

Thanks Dave.
Here are some pics. If any one can help identify the manufacture / model I would greatly appreciate it. I contacted Old Town and they said they could not locate the build slip for my s/n "16 1058" and that the closest number available was #1617 (1903). I'm still not sure that it is an Old Town. Any thoughts? Thanks!
IMG_1200.jpg IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1201.jpgIMG_1204.jpgIMG_1208.jpg

Not Old Town for sure...
First impression makes me think it is a "Charles River" canoe....if so there were several builders in the Charles River area. I don't recognize the deck. Looks like it could have been repaired or replaced at one time.
Others will chime in.

The pronounced stem curve makes me think it’s an Indian Girl model which in turn is loosely based on the long nosed Ojibway style of canoe. Indian Girl was sort of a generic name many makers, Chestnut, Thompson, Old Town, and likely others, used for a canoe with that much recurve in the stem profile.

Chestnut cut numbers in their stems, but with no particular rhyme nor reason, except the 2 digit number (16) usually referred to the length. So it could be a Chestnut, but you’d have to confirm with other physical evidence.

It looks like the decks are replacements and new inwale pieces have been spliced in along the deck. Or maybe the deck is oversized and notched so that the inwales fit in the notches? An arrowhead deck, in other words.

Certainly looks like a Charles River-area canoe (not to be confused with an Old Town Charles River model. The features include the planking pattern the un-tapered ribs, the stem recurve, the serial number, etc... and it looks like the planking is let into the gunwale and the stem (hard to tell, but it looks that way). If there's any evidence of a tag, it's shape might help narrow down he builder, but apparently a lot of canoes from Charles River-area builders apparently never were tagged.

Thanks all!
Based on the evidence I've see so far, Kingbury seems the most likely. Non-tapered ribs feathered down very thin behind the inwale and I found some google images that seem to be an exact match, shape and profile-wise.

Any suggestions as to where I could find info about model and year of manufacture? Even if its just the years Kingsbury was making canoes. Thanks for all the help!

-Kevin K

Back