Serial number identification requested

beez0404

Hello,

Brand new to the WCHA site and definitely brand new to canoe restoration. I just returned from a trip home where I picked up a canoe owned by my beloved grandfather. It has been stored in the barn of his closest friend for many years and was just re-discovered last week. Since I was his favorite grandchild I was given first dibs on it. Anyway, it's at it's new home now and I thought I would try to find some information about it. I think knowing who manufactured it and the approximate date of the build would make my attempts at restoring it all the more enjoyable.

Here is all I could find as an identifying number which was stamped into a thin piece of wood on the floor towards the bow end of the canoe.

That number is MC 315

If this number alone isn't helpful to identify it I can take some photos and try to figure out how to add them on here.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

You have a Kingfisher model motor canoe (hence the MC in the serial number) built by the Penn Yan Boat Company. Probably built between 1948 and 1960, based on their only being two characters in the model designation stamped on your boat.

They are nice boats - enjoy it!

Dan

Attachments

• page-38.gif
    page-38.gif
    218.4 KB · Views: 159
Pen Yan Kingfisher

This is MCH 32 and the owner said it was bought in 1944. That's a 3 HP Evinrude of near the same age.
DCFC0087.JPG

Attachments

• PennYan 3.3HPa.JPG
    PennYan 3.3HPa.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 155
Back