Sanding between ribs;

This is an innovative idea...BUT....keep in mind most canoe planking is about 5/32" thick, and often thinner after fairing the outside and through decades of use, wear and tear. Aggressive paper on a multi-tool can cut very quickly. Even with careful use, you can remove 1/16" of material and start to leave valleys in the planking between the ribs. Put a straight edge across the planking when you pull a few ribs for replacement and you will often see this wear pattern. Be careful.

I've sanded one heck of a lot of canoes and even a Chris Craft Sportster (never again). Try as I might, I have never done damage sanding. I have used just about every sanding implement invented and even done something very similar to what Chris shared. The key is to stay away from really course paper and go with the grain when you can. Orbital is evil.
I think it is possible to do far more damage to the wood with a scrub brush. When you TSP and TeekNu, the wood is wet and soft and easily damaged.

This tool cuts but not too much, just be mindful of what you are doing and you WONT sand too much! It’s perfect because you can run the tool across the grain because the back and forth motion will go with the grain the whole time. I don’t always sand between the ribs initially but there was no other option in this case. Build up a few coats of varnish allows you to sand across the grain I get that. I’ve restored canoes for 40 years and just sharing what I’ve learned, most of the time the hard way. Use it or don’t, I don’t care.

Back