Rushton on Nantucket

But at the same time I was surprised because we see so many canoes going for far less than they should. There seems to have been a big slump in the market lately

I believe that there was a crash of value back in the 2010 time frame and it hasn't recovered yet, it might be getting close but still not there.
As for value, in this case, I think it sold for a fair to slightly low value. But again, way out of my range.
The most I've ever paid for a canoe is in the 4k range, and I don't see me ever going over that - no matter what the canoe is and probably never again.

Dan

Indeed prices have tanked. For my personal canoes however, it’s about the history and craftsmanship. The soul of them. I would love to own an all wood canoe from a known builder like Rushton, but as many here, I just don’t have the money.

I would not say that prices have tanked. I think they have finally settled to about where they should be. For quite a few years there were a small handful of collectors who were trying to check boxes and fill storage sheds, barns and trailers. They were buying pretty much anything that was quasi decent and stockpiling. That done, they either stopped or became more selective. The prices that they were paying did affect the overall market and many less knowledgeable buyers went along for the ride. There were a handful of sellers who used Ebay and CL to unload canoes for much more than they were worth. Less familiar sellers would look at Ebay or WCHA classifieds asking prices to value their own boats, often coming to very silly conclusions. I recall several B grade Rushton's that were listed for years waiting for a sucker to come along and buy them.
With the current cost of restoration, the challenge of storage and the scarcity of some of these boats, it seems as though things have mostly settled back down.
That's not to say that some canoes won't continue to sell for "crazy" money. Some will, just not to me, or Chris, or Dan's".
That said, that price for that canoe was not crazy money. It was a very good buy.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike, as ZORBA once said, " If I were a young man....." I have an original JHR 8' double blade which would fit just fine with the boat. That boat would become part of any family real quick.
Dave DeVivo

Reactions: MGC
Back