Robertson canoe at the Old Town Canoe factory store

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
I stopped at the Old Town Canoe factory outlet store this weekend and took some pictures of the Robertson canoe hanging there as shown below. My images of the serial numbers on the stems didn't come out well but it appears to be something like 1758 17. The outside stems are notched at the top and the planking pattern has the usual Charles River area style with large pointed triangles on the ends of the planks. The two thwarts are not shaped the same and neither one appears to have the 'wavy' Robertson stamps along the gunwales. It has keel screws in every rib and the ribs are not tapered at the ends. This one has clearly been repaired so it is difficult to determine what is original. Does anyone know if there is any pattern to the deck shapes on Robertson canoes? Are the heart shaped decks are early, late, unique to one model, or random? Does anyone have a Robertson with a serial number and an estimated build date?

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    699.6 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0386.JPG
    IMG_0386.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    503.5 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    413.8 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    516 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
The first time I visited that store, I went to this canoe immediately because I thought it was another Morris for our database, as the decks are so Morris-like. Many builders used a heart-shaped deck, but most vary a bit.

Back