RIP Fitz

As has been noted John Fitzgerald, a long-time stalwart of the WCHA and its Norumbega Chapter, passed away last Friday morning after a long battle with cancer. A resident of Concord, Ma, a native of Maine, a professional geologist, a graduate of Bates, a long-distance runner, an avid outdoorsman, and an enthusiastic owner and restorer of wood-canvas canvas canoes, John was very active in the Norumbega chapter, served on the WCHA Board, and attended numerous assemblies. He made many friends throughout the WCHA. He repaired my Prospector a number of years ago.

I met John at a Chapter winter meeting very long ago, his first meeting and contact with the WCHA after he joined. The chapter was at a bit of a low point membership wise and I was worried that might turn John off. We talked about that and John afterward stinted not on pitching in, partnering with Steve Lapey in reanimating the chapter. He led club paddles around Eastern Massachusetts and canoe camping trips to Maine and elsewhere. He repaired and restored wood-canvas canoes at the shop at his home in Concord.

For me personally I will always remember John for having helped launch me in my explorations of the subject of plate tectonics, which theory was in its infancy at the time I was in college in the early 70s. John fielded my questions and helped direct me to books I should read. I am not myself a science guy but I am a history and natural history guy and I have found in plate tectonics a fulfillment of my curiosity about the history of the Earth and the terrains of trails and waters I have traveled through I am very grateful to have acquired.

John was not exactly a wild and crazy guy, wearing either his emotions or his opinions on his sleeve (somewhat unlike me). I passed a number of emails over the past few years, and weeks, with him and you would not have known from them what he was up against. There was no trace of fear or self-pity in them; scarce even a hint he was ill.

Perhaps a clue to what made him tick is a thumbs up he once gave to a post I made on Facebook, quoting another geologist.

Jeffries can find nothing inherently impossible in the (plate tectonics) hypothesis, but he thinks that its ‘validity would be a remarkable accident.’ I agree: but then I think the earth is no less a remarkable accident. It is impossible to be a geologist without realizing that - in the dim light of the knowledge we have gained so far - the earth we live on is a strange and most improbable planet.”

Arthur Holmes

Being a newbi in the wooden canoe a few years ago I met Fitz at a gathering in the ADK's through another friend. What a nice friendly guy who didn't mind chatting with me about the restoration of my boat. We did enjoy a few NY bagels when I showed up to watch the chapter work on a boat to be auctioned off. We did chat once in a while on FB and I enjoyed reading his many posts on tripping.
I love his avatar, great smile.
My condolences to his family.

John was a kind and generous man with what he knew and shared. I will miss him and his spirit. He was definitely one of the good ones.

John Fitzgerald was wonderful. His easy and genuine smile always made me happy. Fitz will always remain to me a very important image of strength and humility. I never heard him complain. He just smiled that smile and pushed on. I can only hope that if I were faced with something the magnitude of which struggled these recent years that I could do so with such dignity and strength.

I often remember when Fitz did something kind for me personally and in support of wooden canoe history, something completely unexpected, wholly selfless, and deeply thoughtful. That generous act came about simply because of Fitz' caring nature.

I was deeply saddened when I heard the news yesterday of Fitz' passing, and it took a day just to figure out how to say anything. Very sad, but I'm reminded of a quote by the poet, artist, and philospher Kahlil Gibran: “When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

Last edited:
A class act guy. Aways took the time no matter what or who. Fortunately, I'll remember Fitz often as I adopted his bag steaming method for rails and rail caps which he demonstrated at a past assembly. I can only hope Brendan will follow in his dad's footsteps and be a part of us in this small community.

I haven’t checked this out with anybody or even run it by editors of the Journal but it strikes me that it might be an appropriate tribute (and consolation to his family) if in the near future an edition of Wooden Canoe might not be a dedication to a remembrance of Fitz. I was going thru this morning my file of emails to Fitz and editions of the Chapter newsletter and I find that from the moment he got involved in the WCHA about 20 years ago, he jumped in with both feet and ran at full blast. And more. Not just in Norumbega. He seems to have made friends all over the WCHA.

Judging from what folks here have posted, about the only flaw I can attribute to Fitz is that he was so boringly virtuous. I have never heard an ill word spoken of him, nor even thought one myself.

I do not know that he ever published in the Journal. He did write some for the Chapter. He was very modest about his articulate self. I did suggest once that he regale a Chapter winter meeting with a talk about the geology of New England. He declined, stating he feared the audience would find the speaker and the subject boring. I replied that I found it hard to imagine our winter chapter meeting audience would find boring any speaker with a pulse, or subject for that matter.

I know not how to expedite this suggestion. I assume the editors of the Journal can look in here and get the jist. Perhaps friends of John’s here can pitch in by writing down some of your recollections and experiences of John and send them along to the Journal.

Chris Eden is the editor of Wooden Canoe but he may not check here regularly. I would encourage you to forward this idea to him at editor@wcha.org directly. Fitz first appeared in Issue number 99 (June 2000) on the new member list. He contributed in a variety of ways over the years including many cover photographs. His articles included "A Double Launching: The Prospector and the Kids" in Issue 131 (October, 2005), "Following Henry" in Issue 150 (December, 2008), "Canoes Built by Daniel B. Neal-Legendary Maine Guide" in Issue 158 (April, 2010), and "Building a Canoe for Mom" in Issue 171 (June 2012). He was elected to the WCHA's board of directors in 2015 and served from 2016 to 2018.

Benson

Back