Rigging twin sail canoes

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
Chris Pearson had asked recently for more details about rigging a canoe with two sails. I decided to post the answer here since someone else might want to reference this information some day. There are several advantages to having two small sails instead of a single big one. The center of effort is lower so it is easier to avoid a capsize. Less rudder effort is required since you can spill wind from either sail to make minor changes in direction. Sailing downwind with one sail out on each side (i.e. 'wing on wing') is poetry in motion. An 18 foot canoe or larger is usually required since the distance between the masts effectively limits the length of the forward boom and size of that sail. I commonly use a 45 square foot sail forward and a 55 square foot sail aft. The halyards hold the sails up in the usual way. These are often tied off near the center of the canoe so you can easily release them in a hurry if necessary. The sheet for the forward sail can be held directly or run through a pulley to a loose loop around the quarter thwart. The aft sail sheet runs from the boom to a pulley on the top of the rudder then up to another pulley on the boom. I usually hold both sheets in one hand. My other hand is typically on the rudder line. This line runs from the yoke on the top of the rudder through two pulleys at the opposite gunwales near the center of the canoe and then back to the other side of the yoke. The pictures at the first link below show this in more detail since it is the same as a canoe with a single sail. The pictures below show how various people have rigged twin sails over the years. The build records for these two canoes are attached at the end. Let me know if you have any questions,

Benson

Otca3.jpg

2020-10-06 from 4-2012.jpg

Otca-c.jpg

Otca-b.jpg

sail-1949.jpg

OTC-115088.jpg

OTC-115088-b.jpg

OTC-167442.jpg

OTC-167442-b.jpg

Last edited:
Back