Rigger's Howe Canoe

Rigger

Curious about Wooden Canoes
About twenty or so years ago, I acquired a 15' Howe canoe from my father. This thread will provide some kind of documentation of it. I'm not the best writer in the world, so the thread may bounce around a bit; you've been warned.

My dad grew up in Kearsarge, Michigan, on the upper peninsula. He bought this canoe new in about 1940, maybe '41 or '42. It is a green 15-footer, with two seats. He told me that it was shipped to Michigan by rail. When he went to Marquette to pick it up at the train station, it was wrapped in burlap. Anecdotal family history says that his first date with my mother was in this canoe.

I spent a few days in Maine this week. I drove over to Coopers Mills to see if I could find any remnants of the Howe Fur Company. No joy. I did however find what I think is the final resting place of Hiram "Ed" Howe.

Riggs

Hiram Howe.jpg

The pages below from his 1951 catalog may interest you. My guess is that the current buildings shown at the link below may have been part of his business. These are on the corner of Main Street and Howe Road. The deed records indicate that he owned several large parcels of land in this area dating back to the early 1900s. Canoes with a family connection are always extra special.

Benson

Howe-1.jpg

Howe-72.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for these pages. I like that the company touted the canoe as an economical alternative to other brands. That would have appealed to my father's sensibilities.

The seats are suspended with carriage bolts. One of the seats has a small board that functions as a back. The other seat may have had a back at one time but it is now missing. You can see holes in the gunwales where it used to be fastened.

Back