Restoring a wood and canvas in France - novice questions

ansrick

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello

I live in France, have bought two wood and canvas (a Peterborough and a "not identified") and have to restore them. But I can't find the knowledge in France. That's why I come here to ask many questions.
I've already restored all wood canoes. So I know certain things. But I've never done canvas.

My first question is about canvas

Which canvas ? In France there's no canoe stores that sell canvas for canoes and no one I know can tell me. Because I don't want to import canvas from America, I'll first have to find stores that sell canvas and then will have to ask them if they sell the one I need. The problem is that I don't know the specifications of a canoe canvas.
Nature, weight, strength... Where can I find those specifications, please ? Maybe on this forum, maybe on web sites, in American stores...

My second question is about tools

Which tools must we buy to replace canvas ? the presses, a special hammer, the nails, the mastic...

Thank you for all the help you'll give me.

Here in U.S. the canvas is called #10 canvas. It is cotton and 60 inches wide for a standard canoe. You will also need canvas filler, copper tacks, a come-a-long to stretch the canvas and canvas pliers
This site has all supplies.

http://www.wooden-canoes.com/material.htm.
You should first read "Building the main guide canoe" by Jerry Stelmok.

Cordially
sam

I knew your videos Rod Tait, which are very useful for someone like me that doesn't know how to do. I've watched them with care.
I thank you for having done this video work shared on the web.

So useful that after having seen them I told myself I could do it and I shared them on my website about wooden canoes. You'll see links to your videos all along that page.

another type of canvas would be Number 12 cotton duck, if you prefer a lighter canvas than number 10 cotton duck. Also, you could attach the canvas with stainless steel staples instead of tacks. Also, canvas can be fastened without a winch. It can be stretched by hand using temporary staples at the stems. Fillers for the canvas can vary widely.

But you can do this with a winch.
20150614_181826.jpg.
yes the post was previously vertical.

Cordially
sam

Thank you for he details.
I wonder whether French stores will understand # 10 / # 12.

I suspect that there will be difficulties in going from US/English measurements and terminology to metric. In the US the canvas used to re-canvas canoes is named 'cotton duck', and typically #12 or #10 is used. 10 is standard, while 12 is lighter weight. The number is based on the weight of a piece of cloth 22 inches by 36 inches. Cotton Duck is a tightly woven, heavy fabric, something that used to be used by tent or awning makers, but in the US very few of them still use canvas. Most of us who restore canoes often go to Northwoods, or another builder, who keep mildewcide-treated canvas in stock. But there is nothing 'magic' about this particular type of canvas. Anything close should work fine. Take a look at the Wikipedia entry for cotton duck. Tom McCloud

I vote import canvas. That will make it that much more special.

Cordially
sam

Back