Restored folding seat

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I just finished restoring this canoe seat. Refinishing the mahogany frame was straight forward. I decided to try the Star pattern, which I had never done before, for the cane on the seat and back. It requires two different size cane. Because the holes were 1/4" dia. and 3/4" apart the cane dealer suggested 'common' cane and 'fine-fine' cane as the two sizes. I did the seat part with those two sizes. It was a PIA to say the least. Very difficult to thread the narrow cane through on the second set of diagonals which resulted in an excessive number of knots on the back. With the back I switched to 'medium' cane rather than 'common' and that made it easier. I would suggest to anyone thinking of doing this pattern that you will need a good working knowledge and complete set of dark side language to get it done. Any kind of adult beverage that might be used for stress management during the process should be avoided otherwise you will screw up the pattern. Save it for after. Attached are before and after pictures.
CanoeSeatA.JPG IMG_5276A.JPG IMG_5292A.JPG
Jim

It sounds like this could be another great article for Wooden Canoe or video for YouTube (without the "complete set of dark side language").

Benson

Too late for a video but I could do a short article for Wooden Canoe. I'll have to give it some thought.

Back