Repainting

Keven Niland

I am looking for some advice and suggestions for repainting my Grand laker. I recently purchased and have sanded the hull and added some glass and epoxy patches. Looking for a durable paint and also some suggestions for protecting the bow where it touches the bottom when beaching it.

Attachments

• GL5.jpg
    GL5.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 183
  • GL6.jpg
    GL6.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 186
I'll bite. In general, the more money the paint costs, the better it is. I like Kirby. But don't discount plain old tractor paint or rustoleum enamel. my first canoe started out John Deere Green. I would start with primer and then a paint of your color. Some suppliers have stick on kevlar skid plates that you could consider. For scratches that I get on my canoes I usually just sand and paint during regular maintenance. I also try to wet enter and avoid scratches if I can, but don't worry about it too much.

For glass, I like Petit Easypoxy.
I was looking at EasyPoxy. Duralux is another one that came up. I used Easypoxy on a Lobster boat I refurbed a few years ago. I didn't seem very durable just from the application as never run the boat in the water. I ended up selling it.
thanks for the feedback...

Last edited:
on glass hulls, i use 2 parts from Epifanes. Smell is toxic, respirator takes care of that. bomb proof and will not be bothered by water as its more of a coating than a traditional paint. collisions with my sailing canoe only scuffed it lol. plus those tremendous laker speeds wont pull it off. submersion does not bother it. not cheap but yearly maintenance is no longer. put it on my laker. they make a nice green/black too.

Kevlar Felt Skid Plates – thefeltstore.com

A Kevlar felt skid plate will stop abrasion on the stem better than just about any material on the planet. The stuff feels like thick chamois shirt fabric and you apply it using epoxy resin, saturating it as you would fiberglass. It's not possible to sand it, so the neatest application that you can do is advised and if you are aware of the target area from previous beachings, there is no reason to make the "grunch patch" (technical term in the canoe industry) any bigger than you have to.

Paint-wise, I have used Brightside, EasyPoxy and hardware store polyurethane floor enamel all with decent results - usually rolling and tipping.

Kevlar Felt Skid Plates – thefeltstore.com

A Kevlar felt skid plate will stop abrasion on the stem better than just about any material on the planet. The stuff feels like thick chamois shirt fabric and you apply it using epoxy resin, saturating it as you would fiberglass. It's not possible to sand it, so the neatest application that you can do is advised and if you are aware of the target area from previous beachings, there is no reason to make the "grunch patch" (technical term in the canoe industry) any bigger than you have to.

Paint-wise, I have used Brightside, EasyPoxy and hardware store polyurethane floor enamel all with decent results - usually rolling and tipping.

Todd,
Where would I find a Kevlar skid plate? I am planning to add a keel to the boat over the winter. I may run a brass rail over it but the Kevlar sounds better.

One place is the link right at the top of my post above - the felt store. They have a pretty good price on them. A google search for Kevlar Felt or Kevlar skid plates will pull up several sources.

Back