re-using screws

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I searched threads for this subject but it must be buried somehwere I cannot find.
I am restoring an Old Town #50. In re-installing the keel I find the keels screws are 1 1/8 long, or close to that. I got perfect allignment by re-instaling the original screws in the original screw holes. However, the screws do not "bottom out." They do not tighten all the way and are prone to feel like they are "stripped." I did get the keel to set well but I am concerned for the possible weakness of it. This canoe had outside stems and they went a little better. Has anyone tried thicker screws? A longer screw would go through the keel and that is its own problem but replacing the screws means finding a thicker screw and washer as well, or perhaps when the bedding compound hardens it will be okay. Thoughts anyone?

One option is to go one screw size larger (e.g. if your screws are #8, replace with #9). Odd size screws are hard to find, especially in bronze, but try here: http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/gpage16.html

Another option is to drill out the screw holes in the keel, plug with hardwood plugs, and redrill the pilot.

Or, make a new keel.

Were it me, I'd probably go with the second option.
Dan

I always plug the holes and pilot them before reinstalling a keel, you still get that perfect alignment and like you said you can reuse the screws. if the holes are small, mix some epoxy with some sawdust and either force it in with a putty knife or get a disposable syringe. i like to seal the keel as well with epoxy, then prime and paint.

Thanks, I think I'll let it set up then one by one, do the plug routine. I've used toothpicks on furniture. Seems to work.

This is my third or fourth canoe and various levels of repair. I can offer this to myself and others, measure and record the screws when you take the canoe apart and record as well the size screws you use on replacement. For sure using the old screws and holes gets the canoe back into allignment perfect, or at least to factory standards, but some allowance has to be made for wear in the wood either by filling, plugging, or larger screws. The pros know this and are keeping it secret.

Shoe repairmen,such as my uncle, had wooden pegs to drive into the hole in the bottom of the shoe before they nailed on new heels.

Back