Looking for silicon bronze machine screws

smallboatshop

Restorers
We are working on a 1930 16 ' OT square stern that was used in salt water and has corroded screws and bolts. With the machine screws either the head is toast or the screw breaks. The machine screws are 10-24 or 10-32 and 4 inches long. The only 4 inch ones that I can find are 1/4" .
I have used a 1/4" in the past by grinding the head to reduce the diameter and countersinking so it closely resembles the smaller machine screw but the slot is bigger and it doesn't look good.

Does anyone have a source for 10-24 4" silicon bronze machine screws?

Thank you Paul and Dave for your replies.

And thank you Steve - I called tnfasteners about the 4" 10-24 flat head, slotted, silicon bronze machine screws and they have them in stock so I ordered a box of 50. They do not offer square nuts for the 10-24's, so I ordered them from Fastenal.

Dan

I put in an order a couple weeks ago for the silicon bronze carriage bolts and washers, plus screws and they showed up today. Exactly as I ordered, sent regular mail to my PO Box here in Canada. Still need to find the square nuts but am quite pleased with Top Notch Fasteners in Minnesota.

Guys,

Thanks for the links to the suppliers, very helpful.

But, why are you putting square nuts on a OT (or other common boat)?
On MY canoes, I (try to) always remove them and replace with hex nuts.

It's not like you're restoring a Rushton.

Dan

Hi Dan,

We have an 1930 OT Square Stern in the shop that had many corroded screws and bolts. The seat knees and the stern knees between the inwale and transom are fastened with the bolts going from the inside out with the square nuts set into the gunwales and the transom so we'd like to replace the bad square nuts with good ones. The nuts for the other machine screws are not visible but it would be good to stick to original materials if available.

Dan

Square nuts ought to be easy to make in the numbers you need. Just start with some bar stock, a drill and a tap of the appropriate dimensions.

Dan is right - they are easy to make. I was putting an EM White back together and didn't have enough square brass nuts to make all the nuts the same, so fabricated replacements. I bought brass square bar stock from someplace on Ebay. Drill the proper size hole an inch or so deep in the center, run a tap the size you need down that hole, (remove the tap), then take the bar stock to a vice and hacksaw off a nut of the proper thickness. A little hand-polishing with fine sandpaper takes any burrs off, and has the nut looking right. An hour of work for a half-dozen nuts. Tom McCloud

Back