Question about deck coaming on an Old Town...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I'm in the process of restoring a 1937 Old Town Otca that has the longer 'coaming' decks.
2016-10-05 12.11.19.jpg
I notice the two coaming pieces were originally installed differently and, in my opinion, sloppily in that the lower edge of the coaming part wasn't flush with and at an odd angle to the bottom of the deck. Both coaming pieces were cracked and I have since repaired them as best as I'm able. In the process I've also patched up the old screw holes thinking to relocate them both to lie flush with the bottom of the deck. But before I reattach them I thought I'd check with you folks as to their correct positioning. It might be that they are supposed to extend below the deck to give your fingers something to grab on to. So: is the bottom of the coaming part supposed to lie flush with the bottom of the deck? or should it extend below the deck by some amount?

is the bottom of the coaming part supposed to lie flush with the bottom of the deck? or should it extend below the deck by some amount?

I have an 18 foot Otca from 1936 which has the coaming extended about 3/8 inches above and below the deck. I also have a 17 foot Otca from 1927 which extends about 1/4 inch above the deck and about 1/2 inch below the deck. Your mileage may vary...

Benson

Ok.. Good to know. Thanks! Let's see if I can at least install the two similarly!

Back