Quebec built sectional canoe?

ronj

It has been a long time since I was last involved with WCHA. Well, I'm at it again with a new restoration I'm taking on.

I have acquired a 12 foot sectional canoe built in Quebec. The person I got it from remembers his father in law purchasing this canoe in 1964 from an Ottawa River marina in the Ottawa area. He thought it was a Tremblay, but I can't find any mention of the Tremblay name on the remnants of the decal. This is cedar and canvas and I didn't think Tremblay used canvas. As well, I could not find any numbers or stamps in the stem areas.

There is no seats but there is a single thwart (not in the picture) in the large section, about a third of the way from the wider end. It is also interesting that there is an outboard mount that can be put in place of the smaller canoe end. I have a .8 HP Elto that should work well on that.

I have attached a few photos and am hoping someone will recognize the label for an identification and if the 1964 date would be reasonable.

Thanks all for your help.

Decal.jpgIMG_1465.JPGIMG_1466.jpgIMG_1468.jpgIMG_1467.jpg

What you can make out of the name, city, street address and phone number are consistent with those listed in a circa 1967 catalog for Les Canots Tremblay.

I guess that makes it pretty reasonable that this is a Tremblay, circa 1964.

By any chance do you know where I could get a replacement decal?

Thanks,

Ronj

This is an unusual canoe and I was not aware that "LCT or Les Canots Tremblay" made a sectional canoe. If you can get a look at the underside of your decks you may see more information with regards to the year and maybe model number. I have a Tremblay that was made back in 1973 that I'm having restored through Mike Elliott of "Kettle River Canoe" in Grand Forks, BC. Your canoe is the first Tremblay I've seen with the shield logo and it was probably used for a short period of time. Tremblay did use another decal and then incorporated stamped metal plates with a small corporate logo design. LCT used veralite to cover their canoes and went out of business sometime in the mid to late 70's. If anyone knows more about the company history please post it up as I'm finding very little. Ronj you may want to check out some threads I posted back in Nov.2011 that got about 15 hits under serial number search.

Dan, Thanks for the update. There are a couple unusual things about this canoe. But given the lack of information on Tremblay, who knows. The other unusual feature is that this is a canvas canoe and not veralite. I believe canvas is the original covering because after removing it from a couple of sections, there are no "extra" nail holes that would indicate a replacement. As well, rather than replace the covering a second, lower outwale, was added to attach the top of the canvas where it rotted just below the original outwale. Originally the hull was red.

Unfortunately I could not find any marking on the underside of the decks, or anywhere else for that mater, to indicate when it was made.

Hi Ron, thanks for your last reply. It occurred to me after revisiting your original sectional canoe post that you mentioned it had no seats. Tremblay canoes were noted to have seats mounted to the ribs using a rail as opposed to a dowel or carriage bolt through the inner gunwale. So you may want to look for evidence of screw holes in the ribs about where they might have placed the seats. Being a sectional canoe the design may have had a very easy to remove seat ensemble to facilitate portability. The seats on my canoe utilize "babiche' lacing and were hung with 4 mahogany rails. The outer and inner gunwales were also mahogany(possibly Honduran) so check yours to see if any of these indicators might match your canoe...which by the way, I find really interesting. As to your canvas question, maybe LCT used conventional application before using verolite or that it was easier to cover a sectional canoe using traditional methods??? I continue to search for more on Tremblay canoes and hopefully more will come to the surface.IMG_1919.jpgIMG_1921.jpgIMG_1922.jpgIMG_1923.jpg

Dan: I don't see any rib holes where a seat could have been mounted, but given it is a 12' canoe with the largest section being 6', I suspect there was no practical room for a seat. There is however a thwart, not shown in the picture. I figure between the thwart and the top of the joining boards, there are a few places to lean.

I noticed on mine that the thwart has been shaped and the ribs are tapered, whereas yours are cut straight. I suspect mine has the additional wood removed to reduce weight.

Thanks for your PM, it is great to see a confirmation that LCT did build sectionals in the 60's.

Now it would be nice to find a good image of the decal so I can have one made for this canoe. Please let me know if you run across one.

Thanks,

Hi Ron: I know that it's been a while since we last spoke but I've got a little information for your Tremblay sectional canoe. I believe the missing lettering of the decal to be:

LES CANOTS TREMBLAY

Manufacturier de Canots

95 BLVD Le Sacre-Coeur

St Felicien, Quebec

Tel. 679-1993

Ron if you were to trace the left side of the original decal and use it as a template for the right by turning it over you could easily replicate the original design and add the information that I've sent you...the font being really quite simple to duplicate. Please let me know how the restoration is going and if you succeed at making a new decal.

Dan

Back