Baby Tremblay

Louis Michaud

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I simply could not resist getting this one. A Tremblay "Grec" model: 12' long by 32" built in 1971. I like the curve of the stems, it's very graceful. It is really tiny. The dogs agree, it's not a 2 dog canoe. I have a hard time seeing 2 adults padding in this. Other than the busted seats it is in great condition. A fresh coat of varnish on the mahogany outwales and that's it. The decks are atypical but there are no doubts it is a Tremblay.

Best,

Louis Michaud
Rimouski, Quebec

Attachments

• Bébé Tremblay1.jpg
    Bébé Tremblay1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 363
  • Bébé Tremblay2.jpg
    Bébé Tremblay2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Bébé Tremblay3.jpg
    Bébé Tremblay3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 363
Very nice little canoe, all that comes to mind is beaver ponds, the fly rod and brook trout.

For casting in this canoe the rod action would have to be straight for and aft with no sideway motion at all, the line would also need to travel straight, the fly would have to be perfectly balanced: each wing the same weight... Any deviation from this would result in a swim with the beavers! :cool:

I asked about the decks, the owner got it new in 71 with those decks. The "patina" on the decks, the screws and the inwale is consistent with the rest of the canoe and does not show any signs of tampering. The undercut of the deck has the same look and tool marks as the 18 foot moose canoe below. No problems fly-fishing from this one!

These 2 canoes, and other Tremblays I've seen, have a thick wide copper stemband. Anybody seen anything else as a stemband?

Attachments

• Tremblay 18 01.jpg
    Tremblay 18 01.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 241
Had a few Tremblays through the shop. On all them the deck lip had a convex radius curve rather than the concave radius curve as on yours???? Other wise the thwarts, seats and seat mounting were the same. Wide copper stem bands were also apparent. They all had a degree of dry rotted rib ends and upper planking which I blamed on the Verolite skin. Hope yours is okay.

Last edited:
For casting in this canoe the rod action would have to be straight for and aft with no sideway motion at all, the line would also need to travel straight, the fly would have to be perfectly balanced: each wing the same weight... Any deviation from this would result in a swim with the beavers! :cool:

We've been doing it out of kayaks for a long time, not a problem with a little practice.

I agree with Dave: the decks are not the usual shape for a Tremblay and I've never seen one before with this shape. I cleaned up the 12' canoe a little. Did not find any writings under the decks. No rot at the tips of the ribs or the upper parts of the planking. Strange thing on the 18 footer: the varnish is missing for 3/4" to 1" under the inwales...

There is the remnant/outline of a decal on the deck of the 12' but it does not fit with Tremblay decals I've seen. ?????

Still, I'm a 100% sure the decks are original and a 100% that this is Tremblay. When you look at it side by side with the 18' you would think they were built the same day with wood coming from the same plank!

Attachments

• Tremblay decal 12a.jpg
    Tremblay decal 12a.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 210
I have a late (CIRCA 1970) Chestnut cruiser that had the same lack of varnish under the inwales. I figured the spray gun didn't reach up there easily, so they just didn't bother.

Bob

Last edited:
Got around to looking Under the deck of the 18 footer: 8 72. Great to have a definitive built date!!

Best,
Louis Michaud

Attachments

• Tremblay 18 date.jpg
    Tremblay 18 date.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 226
Back