Proof of ownership

Here's one solution to the problem of identification and ownership:

Attachments

• Kruger Photos-1.jpg
    Kruger Photos-1.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 758
I won't give away your secret. Let's see who guesses it first.
That is a very nice job, Max. Congratulations!

Morse code? I haven't worked with that since I was a boy scout, but it sure came back fast....

Too funny!

Prove it is yours.

If a police officer (or some such authority figure) asks you to prove that the canoe is yours, I would tell him that I don't have to prove it is mine because it is in my possesion. If he says that a canoe has been reported stolen in the area, immediately ask for a discription of the stolen canoe. What is its length and color, Was it wood, fiberglass or aluminum. Did it have a trademark on it.
If he can't answer any of those questions he is on a fishing expedition.. I would tell him it is his job to prove that I have stolen material and if he wants to arrest me without proof that I stole the canoe, I would be happy to sue for false arrest. Of course I have marks all over the canoes, but for many of these "officiers" (especially some of the ones I have run into ) its just a power trip. Don't stop asking quesstions and insist on real responses. Yes I have an attitude when it comes to something like this but it has developed over time and from experience.

Card, no stickers

When I registered my 1946 Peterborough last month with Wisconsin DNR I was first pleased to see it only cost me $11.00. The form asks many questions but in the end, the critical information is "Serial Number". At that point on the form, I put the number stamped on the stem from it's manufacture. Now I got the registration document from the DNR. It's a nice document but you also get a creditcard size tidbit with that info on it. I figure I shouldn't even have to put numbers on the canoe. There are already numbers stamped right into the hull on the stem that correspond with the numbers on the registration card from the DNR. Proving it's me on the little card is easy, I already have the passport proving it's me. Nothing on the document says you have to also put the numbers on the hull. I feel confident that this will be sufficient evidence. We'll find out if this is enough. Assembly is only 37 days away. :)

Last edited:
Why register it? Well, so you can put that goofy-looking sticker on your beautiful canoe, just like us in Silly-noise.... isn't that enough? :D

Hopefully this would also work in WI: I know of one IL-stickered homemade kayak that was returned to its rightful owner, by tracking via the registration sticker. The owner left the boat stashed in some bushes, almost out of sight, for the car shuttle... somebody found it, assumed it was abandoned, took it home, & called the DNR. Took a few weeks, but boat & owner were re-united.

Several years ago one of our Wisconsin assembly members proposed a required registration for canoes and kayaks. There was an uproar and the answer to the question "why" was, to improve (concrete) access to our waterways and increase that access. The way I saw it, he was asking canoeists to pay for concrete ramps to get more motor boats into more waterways around the state. Just what I wanted, more overpowered, underbrained stink boaters creating more wake by speeding up when a canoe is nearby.
The proposal was rightly struck down.
I don't mind paying. If required, I would register all my canoes and even figure out a way not to ruin the w/c with a sticker. But, before I agree to it, I must be convinced that paddlers would have more access and motorists would get better enforced no wake areas.
Howard

Why register it....

Because as I cross into and out of Canada on this trip, I will have the WI registration card with me showing that the number on the canoe stem is the same number as the hull number on the registration card. This shows that it was mine in WI not purchased or stolen in Canada. I did it just for this crossing the border trip. I will not be buying big plastic numbers to put on the hull as well. It may not come up but I believe this will be sufficient to not have to pay tax on a purchase in Canada when I get back to the US or some such thing or have to go through some long discussion and interrogation regarding how it came to be mine, if it was stolen, etc. I am not saying everyone should do it. I'm just saying its an idea I had that I am using myself to come and go from Canada as easily as possible and without long delay. It has nothing to do with access or what ever the past issue was in WI, which I know nothing about. It was done strictly for the purpose of crossing the border on this trip. That is all and I'm sorry if you took it that I was "PRO-canoe registration" or something. It has nothing to do with it so relax. You can do what ever you want to do to get into and out of Canada with an unmarked canoe. Its up to you. I did this by personal choice only and just shared the idea in case it is useful to someone else trying to think how to do it, too.

I recently made 2 border crossings with my 1929 OT on top of the car - no one even looked at it. I did have a copy of Wooden Canoe with my boat on the cover and the story of it's restoration inside. Was actually hoping someone would ask - would have probably been the most unique proof of ownership that had seen in a while!

Proof of ownership/canoe registration

Actually, in Silly-noise, the DNR uses the numbers of various types of registered boats to determine where the funding goes for boat ramps. Also, they recognize that not all ramps have to be concrete -- they've contributed heavily to all 7 canoe launches on the Des Plaines River and two lake sites, here in Lake County. Only one of them is concrete, and nothing bigger than trolling motors are allowed at that site. It's the best bang for my tax buck I'll ever see... Doing the math, I'm paying $14/year for my 7 boats, which gets me unlimited access to 8 canoe & kayak-only launches, and 1 where we see an occasional trolling motor, in my home county. Another canoe & kayak only launch is planned for an additional lake site; construction has begun. In the county just west of me, there are 5 or 6 such sites, and two more planned (funded). So you might want to find out exactly what WI does with the boat reg money... ya never know until you ask.

I'll agree that registering canoes & kayaks is kind of silly, but since it helps build non-motorized access sites, I'm okay with it. Oh, and you only have to put the 2" numbers on your canoe if you motorize it. Sailing canoes don't need them. Oh darn!

Note that this year the DNR has decided that, for people who live in states where canoe registration is not required, not only do the canoeists have to show proof of residence in that state, but they have to carry a copy of that state's law that shows the exemption for canoes. For WI at least, that text is available on line; I can dig it out again if someone needs.

Hey, the news can't all be good!

Splinter -
No I never thought you were "pro registration". I was just curious about why one would register when it is not required. And I think your reason is very good - who wants a long discussion at the border?
Several years ago I treked up to Canada to paddle the Dubwant River in NWT and Nunavut. I knew that would be the last trip for the Old Town Penobscot as the royalex was worn thin on the bottom and the cost of shipping the canoe home while we boarded a bush plane back to civilization was too great. At the end of the trip in Baker Lake we were met at the shore by a local guy who is always on the prowel for a canoe to rent out. Turns out he also runs the native art shop. I ended up trading the canoe for a real nice stone carving. Came home without the canoe.
At the border the questions began. Ya, returning home from a canoe trip. He looks up and sees no canoe. Next thing I know we are directed into the garage and told to empty our pockets onto the table and then led into the building waiting room. I still wonder if we would have been shaken down like we were if the canoe was on the roof?
Howard

Note to self: Dainties

Just in case I get strip searched at the border, I will plan ahead and wear some dainties from my "A-Team" Selection. Wouldn't want to be embarrassed by having to expose my "B-team" kept exclusively for yardwork and sweaty, dirty projects. I had not thought about that but, dang Howard! You are always thinking ahead and I for one appreciate the warning. As for Mike Cav.... of course no one gave YOU any trouble at the border, you work for the state of NY, You're 6'5" and look like you lift cars over your head with one hand for a fun activity. Who'd mess with you? It's innocent looking problem magnets like me that raise eyebrows at the border. They see me and think, "hmmmmm a petite blond caucasian grandmother with a smile on her face.... Looks like shes' gotta be hiding something, very suspicious. " Let's get this one good!!!" Word to the wise and this means you too Paul Klonowski, put on something lacey for the trip.

Alright Splinter - as I ponder you getting strip shearched at the border,:D I'll tell the rest of that story. So, the truck is in the garage and we're led into the waiting room while they tear through a month's worth of camping gear scattered in 3 #4 duluth bags and a 60 liter blue barrel. Ah, the blue barrel which started the trip with most of our food stuffs and ended the trip with all of the waste from food stuffs - leftovers from many of the meals. Last morning on the trail, I saw the barrel was getting bloated from the gasses trapped inside (I am not exagerating).
We are sitting in the waiting area and I tell Doug, "I wish we could be out there so we can see the looks on their faces when they open the barrel". No such luck, a few minutes later somebody comes in and tells us to leave, our truck is outside and we can re-pack.
Turns out, they didn't get to the barrel. They opened one duluth and then another car came in.
As I was re-organizing the back of the truck, I saw there was a car inside with a black man who, when I heard him speak seemed to have an African accent and two white women. I guess I am glad there was somebody more suspicious then us. On the other hand, what is their criteria for a full search?
Howard

I'm not sure about the dainties thing... would need help.

But, yeah, I look way too suspicious. Beard, glasses, generally in need of a comb, and a haircut as well, and been known to smuggle high-grade beers across state lines. One of the great things about living in NE Silly-noise is that I'm so close to Wisconsin's brewpubs... :)

Sorry, did I hijack the thread???

("Jesus is coming, look busy")

I have to believe that looking busy all the time is part of job security so since we are crossing on a Thursday, I hope it will be busy enough that there are more interesting folks to investigate before me. This is why I am hoping Paul Klonowski will be going through in a car directly in front of me with his lace dainties on for the trip. Looks like he's gonna be busy for a while, clear sailing for me, though !;)

Back