Paint!

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
:confused: OK!....I have read everything on here about what paint to get when the time comes to make it look pretty and be functional...I am now at that point!.....Can anyone in plain english suggest a good commercial paint that is available from any local supply source....I have looked in the Marine catalogs, gone to marinas and boat yards, and am now totally confused on what to get and where.... Oh yeah!...and I want to use this same paint to re-cover a 1971 Stowe "Mansfield" that I have just gone all thru and now have in a like new condition..ready for a re-paint... This paint is going to be used to cover a 15' Kennebec w/c boat, that Stowe, The 16' OTCA, AND, the 16' Chestnut....all in that order and hopefully before the next SNOW flys again. Of course, I dont have to have them all the same color but then I dont think I want a yard full of the "same thing"
Everyone seems to have a preference but when it comes time..I dont want to find one of them all scratched and rubbed clean on the first run..
Thanks

You need a top side marine enamel. Kirbys appears to be the favorite 'round here but there are a few others around like Petitt. Interlux seems to have dropped it's alklyd enamels so that leaves west marine out of the picture. I'm finding Petitt at the local Mom & Pop marine shop for $20.00 a quart.

Some have suggested 'porch & deck' alklyd enamel. It works and $20.00 gets closer to a gal.

Murphy's law, the nicer the finish, the quicker it gets scratched...

" Tremclad " high gloss rust paint works great, is available almost anywhere, is inexpensive, is same as an aklyd marine type paint and there are a lot of colors to choose from.

"Tremclad"

Hi;
About that "Tremclad"............I have been to Home Depot, Lowes. and Aubuchon stores.....Not to mention ACE and several others... The only place left is Benjamin Moore in Laconia to try.....Does this "tremclad" go by another major name brand or am I looking for a fox in the hen house?
Thanks

I suspect that to find what you are looking for, you'll have to head north, across the border...

:D Thanks Dan;
I think if I am going that far for paint at the cost of gasoline these days I woudnt get any returns on the investments if and when I sell one...Home Depot and Lowes are only 40 minutes away and Aubuchon is within walking distance...:)

Check this out

Sorry about that. I did a Google search and it seems Tremclad is a Canadian brand name owned by an international company called Tremco. It would appear that in the USA it is called Rustoleum.

Rustoleum!!!!!

:( :rolleyes:
Now that brand I understand!.....thanks Dave....I can go to any store and find that brand...Spoke with my neighbor who is a professional painting contracter and he has agreed to teach me how to use his new fangled spray painting tool....All I need is my own gun (which I have already) and will do some sample things first....This thing is nothing like I have seen before! I have some left over #8 canvas and filled it and tacked it to a board...Gonna practice on that first...:) First day in a month that there is clear blue skies out there and no threat of rain....Crazy New England weather...Dont like it...wait a minute

spraying

I've sprayed my share of tremclad through my Binks automotive type spray gun, typically used between 30 - 40 lbs of pressure, but found that I liked to add a little reducer and/or hardener - I shot my Willys M38 jeep with a one part olive drab enamel, the pre-mixed canned paint doesnt seem to like to harden as much as automotive paint in the thin coats a spray gun lays down, but thinning it makes for a nicer finish and a little hardener helped. We shot my friends Peterborough a couple years ago and its held up very well, but it goes down best over grey primer. By the way its a regular siphon cup gun, an HVLP gun likely wont need the same pressure, but a couple of test runs would be great.
Just my own exprience...

Some time ago I was warned about using Rustoleum - it was a fish oil based paint, and fish oil behaves strangely if its not on rusty metal, apparently. I did a quick look on the Rustoleum website, and it seems the formulation may have changed to a "regular" alkyd enamel, and that only the rusty metal primer has fish oil in it. Worth checking before you commit to it though...

If you mix the paint using cheap reducer this will cause the unused paint to jell after a few days. Be careful not to contaminate the unused paint. If you want to paint in doors but don't want the over spray caused by spray painting try using a 4" foam paint roller. With a little practice the final results are the same.

Interlux alkyd topside enamel

Jamestown Distributors still claims to stock the old "Premium Yacht Enamel" that many people (including myself) seem to like, though it doesn't look like they have the full spectrum of colors once offered (they still sell the old standby Malachy Green). But if you are going to be ordering online, why not get Epiphanes? I haven't been able to find much wrong with it, and Jamestown is fast on delivery. I like Kirby's colors, and they certainly are good folks to deal with, but I can't get it to level as well as Epiphanes or Interlux. Maybe its my technique, but even with lots of doctoring I end up with brush marks. Maybe we don't need to revisit that discussion, however. My vote is for Epiphanes through www.jamestowndistributors.com
Don in Vermont

Last edited:
Good information

Thanks for the input...read all those sugestions on the 2 sites you sent....If all goes well, will post pics of how these canoes come out...If not...well.... then I think I will just hide them in the woods and let the bears use them for sleds;)

Back