Outside stem material

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
I have seen many prior restoration but have never seen this "creative" solution for replacing outside stems.

I did not notice what they were made of until I went to remove them. I removed the metal stemband and then had to heat gun the extra paint to get to the fasteners. Once removed I discovered someone had nailed a piece of "V" belt as an outside stem. I actually looked good with the paint on it.

I'm sure I won't replace them with "V" belt. I have never seen it done before but must say it worked for the last 50 or 60 years.

Just another item to add to the list of "creative" fixes for canoe restoration.

Happy Paddling,

Paul

Very interesting. It's is so perfect I (almost) want to try it. No steam bending and a little extra cushioning when ramming:)

Old Town once upon a time did sell rubber bumpers on some of its canoes. The build record for my 15' 50 pounder, sold in 1931 to the athletic division of the College of Agriculture of the Georgia State College, Athens, Georgia, shows that rubber bumpers were on the ash outside stems. No trace of the bumpers now -- just an ordinary wooden outside stem with a regular brass bang strip. But maybe v-belt material had originally been used for a bang strip?

Back