Otca ready to go

Don

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Well, the Otca finally got cartopped. It has been used on an Eastern Shore (MD) river occasionally and spends most of the time in a garage. But in a few weeks it is headed up to the Adirondacks and will be back on a lake it has not seen in 35+ years. It will be used to take my 4-year-old son fishing, as well as taking the rest of the family on a cruise. I forgot how big this thing is. It is a BEAST! I got a boatloader and a 66" bar for my Yakima rack. Otherwise all the gunwale brackets won't fit the boat. It is a chore, but with the boatloader, a tube which pulls out of the crossbar, I can load and offload the Otca solo. It is a workout though. Now we may go out to a local reservoir tomorrow to do some fishing, a practice run. Wish us luck.

fishing on a reservoir

Actually got the Otca out to a local reservoir for a little paddling and fishing. It is getting easier to put the canoe on the roof and a canoe cart makes it much easier to get in the water. We plan a few more outings before the summer vacation trip. But the Otca does have about three broken or cracked ribs. Maybe I will think about getting that taken care of during the winter. Any good renovators/canoe repair people out there?

Glad you enjoyed your canoe!

If you go to the main page of this website and click on "build and restore", there may be someone near you who'll do the rib-repair work. But I think what others here will suggest is that you consider doing the work yourself... at least discuss the process (through these forums), or maybe take one of the many courses offered, where you show up with your canoe and work through everything that needs to be done to make her "new" again.

Kathy

Back