OTCA Keel

SteveDetwiler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can anyone tell me if Old Town would typically paint the keel the same color as the hull? (1921 OTCA). Our hull will be yellow (to match the original) and we're contemplating painting the keel a dark contrasting color, but we don't know if that might be true to the original.

Old Town typically painted the keel the same color as the hull but it is your canoe so have some fun!

Benson

Neither of these Old Towns have their original color or paint scheme -- but one keel is the same color as the hull, and one is dark -- varnished mahogany.

cr 100_1076 2.jpg

I am in the process of repairing and recanvasing the yellow canoe, and if I can get the old paint out of the pores of the ash keel, I will be staining and varnishing it to match the stained bright work of the interior of the canoe, rather than painting it the color of the hull. I like the contrast.

Greg

If your canoe has varnished outer stems it can be nice to continue the varnish job down the length of the keel.

In full disclosure, I own a canoe with a design number 10 where the keel is painted to match the outside stripe as shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?12320 and below. It didn't come from the factory looking like this. However, Old Town was willing to paint a canoe in almost any design that the customer was willing to pay for so they may have done some with contrasting keels. Please post some pictures when you finish yours.

Benson

Attachments

• Keel.jpg
    Keel.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 208
Back