OT gunwales and stem bands

Trammel canoe

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
We are needing to order mahogany gunwales and stem bands for our OT 17' HW.

1)Any suggestions as to where to order the gunwales from? Do they have to be ordered from OT or is there another option?

2)The canoe did not have the stem bands when we bought it. How long should they be for this canoe? Are there suppose to be large screws in the stems (that would be covered by the stem band)?

3)On the build sheet our canoe was started in 1928, finished in 1929 and shipped in 1930. This would be considered a 1929 model, right?

Thanks for your continued help,
Trina

Hi Trina,

Some other folks will probably jump in with suggestions also (HINT, You GUYS!)

1) You can order outwales and stem bands from Old Town. Some folks may comment on their experience with the pre-bent 'wales - some have had good luck and others...

You may also find help in our builders and suppliers directory - http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/ You might find someone nearby to help out.

2) Your canoe had outside stems which were strips of wood (probably ash) that covered the outside profile of the stems, also covering the folded canvas and tacks holding it. It was held on with screws. The stem bands are brass and cover the outside of the OS Stems and provided a little protectionagainst bumps and scrapes. Stem bands usually extend about 3-4" onto the deck, then follow the OS Stem around to a few inches past the junction with the keel. Here are a few pictures of the latest project I acquired - they show the Outside stems and stem bands. http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=3453

3) Dating the canoe - though not set in stone, we generally consider the shipped date to be the year of the canoe. Old Town would build canoes in the slower parts of the year and store them until shipment. This was usually on a last in - first out basis, depending on the demand for a particular model/length combination. Your boat may have been at the back of the warehouse and took over a year to make it to the shipping department. BTW did you notice that some poor folks worked New Years Eve and New Years Day on your boat? Check for empty bottles under the decks! :D

Thanks for your help. When recanvasing, we will still need to remove the keel and cover it right? By removing the screws from the stems the os stems should come off and then be re attached after canvasing. I looked at the dates on the build sheet but it didn't sink in til you pointed it out. By the way, nothing under the decks....

Thanks again,
Trina

You do remove the keel when recanvasing. When the keel is re-attached, you will be screwing it on from the inside with screws that go through every other rib in the center portion of the canoe, and screwing from the outside on the ends of the keel into the inside stems. To prevent leaks, put a good coating of bedding compound on the concave portion of the keel before fastening it in place. Dip the screws in the bedding compound to further seal the job.

We appreciate the info., we need all the help we can get. I have ordered "the book", just waiting on it to arrive (not very patiently).

Thanks again,
Trina

:)

Depending on your location, there may be WCHA members or even a chapter nearby for advice and assistance.

We are just southeast of Bowling Green, KY. I haven't noticed anyone on the forum from this area. Hopefully between the book and this forum we will be able to complete the restoration ourselves. If not, we'll take it to someone who can.

Thanks,
Trina

Never give up...my saying is.. "the JOY is in the journey!"...Read the Book, ask questions on here...there is no failure, there is only expeience gained by hands on effort. AND THEN!...what a feeling when it is done!...That first paddle will say it all..Good luck, effort, and share the smiles when its finished...

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. The thought of the first paddle is keeping us on track. We began removing the fiberglass tonight. Using a heat gun it is peeling right off!:) At least this part is going well. Any idea where we could get outer gunwales or instructions and specs for making them ourselves? Old Town suggested we make our own or find them else where.:eek:

Thanks again,
Trina

See if you can find a post on here by "Fitz" I think it was....He showed a form and method for bending mahogany outwales for his OTCA..To me , the hardest part is making the matching cuts on the outwale where it sits on the planking, has that angle for the shape to keep it level....Recently did one for an 17 0r 18 OT guide with a friend...made sample cuts until we had it right and made the jugs to hold it tight to the saw blade and made coth of them...Too our surpise we only had a minor adjustment and they look great on his canoe! If we could do it,,,,YOU CAN!

Back