Brass Stem Bands- Flat v. Concave?

George F.

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I had purchased brass stem bands and was ready to install them when I read in one of the forums that the back side of the stem band needs to be concave to handle the canvas seam and bedding compound. Is a concave back on the brass stem band absolutely necessary?
Obviously, I would prefer to use the flat backed ones I have to save having to a re-order and return the originals. Has anyone successfully used flat backed brass stem bands?

On a related topic, I read a post from Rollin Thurlow saying you can sand and rasp the high spots off the bow/stern before installing the stem band to get a better, flatter base. He said getting right down into the canvas while flattening was ok, as it was protected by the brass band. I could do this to better accept a flat backed band, but am a bit nervous about taking off paint, filler and some canvas after having been so careful in putting it on! Most of what I would be doing would be above the water line, but still makes me nervous. Has anyone attempted flattening the seam with sandpaper and/or rasp? Do you have to go back and do some touch up painting after installing the band?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hollow backed stem bands are preferred on stems without an outer stem.
You can use a flat backed stem band as long as all of the humps and bumps are cleaned off for a "flat to flat" finish.
Or you can buy a couple of new ones with a concave back to make the canvas seam....seam seamless. ( no pun intended)
I buy from Northwoods Canoe Co.

Hello George,

Chuck from California here. Just yesterday I installed the stem bands I had for my Old Town Molitor. Mine had concave backsides. My Molitor has outside stems so it's not really an advantage as far as I can tell. I bought mine from Pat Chapman when I was up in Washington. Carried them home in the bicycle rack tubes to prevent damage. I found bedding compound to be very messy to work with.
After all that work, I think I'd be inclined to bite the bullet and spring (and wait - that may be the harder part of it all) for the concave back bands.

Cheers, Chuey

The concave stem bands are relatively cheap and will work far better than the flat back type. And they will save you gobs of time.

Back