OT Build record Please

Hi Tim--

Old Town 10879 is a 17 foot AA (top) grade HW canoe, completed from March-June of 1909. It has red Western cedar planking, closed spruce gunwales, mahogany decks, thwarts, and seat frames, a keel and sponsons. Original color was dark red. The canoe was shipped to Hydeville, VT, on August 24, 1909.

Sounds like a cool old one!

The scan of this record has been sent to you attached to email-- sorry I couldn't post it here-- Roger is working the stuffings out of the server so we can upload images without making them itsy-bitsy.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you and anyone else reading this will join or renew membership in the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Kathy

Thank you.

Thank you for the rapid response. It is a nice canoe. needs work. It had been fiberglassed and the sponsons are now missing. It has a place for a flag and has a painter ring.
Thank you again. I have more. this was a three canoe trip. I got a Morris, you've seen it, but I am sorry to say no females batted their eyes and asked me about it. Not even a horn or thumbs up on the freeway. Did I do something wrong?

Tim

I think the ladies bat their eyelashes when they are riding in the canoe... especially when one is all decked out with 20 pillows and a Victrola with morning glory horn.

Katheryn, Question on build record

Where was the reference to sponsons on the build record? Do I read that right, the canoe was named : Mapatevitch? what is R & L Barr?

Thank you for the work you do.
Tim

Above "color" is the word "sponsons" with the date June 1, 1909 stamped after it. When a date is given after one of the words that's on the card, it means that's when that was done. If there was no date after "sponsons", then there were never any sponsons attached to the canoe.

Sometimes a worker's name is noted after one of the construction processes.

The "extra stuff" listed at the bottom of the record is:

painter ring (took a while to decipher that)
flag pole and socket
the name "Mapatwitch" on the right and left bow
2 spruce paddles
2 cane backs (this is the sort of seatback with cane insert rather than slats-- it props against a thwart)

Sorry I didn't explain all that stuff. It helps to have had to read doctors' notes.

Still can't upload the image here-- sorry.

Kathy

got it

Once again, thank you. The painter ring was easy, I'm looking at the canoe. Sponsons are gone but you are correct. I did not know how to read the build records
I presume there is a place in heaven for people to respond to thousands of questions, however dumb, for free.
Tim

Old Town put carry thwarts on their sponson canoes... are they still there? They're rather handy, not only for carrying but for tying-down on a car.

Carry Thwarts

One thwart in place. One missing. Sponsons missing as well. Canoe was fiberglassed at some point. Sponsons likely removed then. I see it spent all its life within 20 miles of Lake Bomoseen. It had a lot of use, not abuse, just use.
Tim

Back