Em white

jwil

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Recently acquired 17'3" White. It has no serial numbers and does not have a steam bent stern seat. The record of its history places it prior to 1944. The seats are woven cane. Any other ideas in dating it? Also did these use Western red cedar planks and whit cedar ribs? It has a very dark stain is this original? And can anyone tell me what the thwarts and rails would most likely be made from?
Thanks
Jim

Any other ideas in dating it? Also did these use Western red cedar planks and whit cedar ribs? It has a very dark stain is this original? And can anyone tell me what the thwarts and rails would most likely be made from?

The steam bent (D shaped) rear seat was last shown in the 1923 White catalog so yours is probably from before that. The White catalogs from this era simply specified "cedar ribs and planking" but Old Town was using red cedar for planking at this time so it is likely that White was too. White was not known for staining their interiors but anything is possible. It could also just be naturally stained from the age of the varnish. The catalogs specified "gunwales of spruce, white ash or oak stems and thwarts." More information like this is available from the White catalogs at http://store.wcha.org/The-Historic-...pany-Catalog-Collection-Version-2-CD-ROM.html in the historic collection. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Thanks as always Benson began stripping today anotHer a 1926 Charles river I used the Orange stripper and am impressed

Back