Oldtown Canoe?

antiqueman

I bought what I was told was a 1920+ Oldtown Canoe. I have been looking on it for a seral number but so far no luck in finding it. Can anyone tell me where I should look on this canoe for the number?

Someone in the past had put a poor skin of fiberglass over the hull.
I have removed it. Under it has some damaged wood. Which I will attempt to replace soon. it was put together with hundreds of brass or copper tacks/nails. Someone has added steel/iron tacks to the boat at one time, they are all starting to rust. I am slowly removing them leaving the copper alone for now. The keel wood was attached with lots of brass screws. I will take some pictures soon and send them along. It is a 17 foot
canoe.

Thank's,

antiqueman

Welcome, Antiqueman-- and congratulations on removing the fiberglass: this can be a chore!

You might find the book "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" a big help in answering some basic restoration questions (as well as not-so-basic). It's good to remove any iron/steel fasteners, but I got a sense from your post that you are thinking of removing copper and brass as well, and this wouldn't be a good idea... but maybe I'm misreading things.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to pictures and I'm sure others are too.

Kathy

1920's canoe? and removing brass/copper tacks.

I am not going to remove the brass/copper tacks/nails. Did not mean to

imply that.

antiqueman

If you post a picture of your canoe here, we may determine whether it is or isn't an Old Town and what it might otherwise be... or you can look over pictures on this site and narrow things down. I'd start by looking at deck styles. If your canoe seems likely to be an Old Town, the serial number should be on the upper face of both stems.

http://dragonflycanoe.com/wood-canoe-identification-guide/

Back