Old Town #

Lew,

This build record was provided on 3/12/06 to Tom Heys and here's one for you. This canoe was started as an OTCA and finished as an HW.

Enjoy,

Ric Altfather

Attachments

• 36954.jpg
    36954.jpg
    879.3 KB · Views: 316
Interesting

How can it start out as an OTCA and end up as HW? I thought they were different forms.
I'd be interested to know. I think I am about to learn something.

Dave Wermuth said:
How can it start out as an OTCA and end up as HW? I thought they were different forms.

The Otca and HW are different forms so this can mean that either the original notation was an error that was later corrected or that in this case they needed a HW to fill a rush order and shipped a similar Otca instead. There are many records that have the original model crossed out with a note that it "shipped as" some other model. You can see an example of this at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=411 and attached below. They would even occasionally ship Carletons as Old Towns or vice versa. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Benson

Attachments

• 64943.gif
    64943.gif
    52.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 71404.gif
    71404.gif
    64.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Over the weekend I acquired the canoe noted at the top of this thread (OT #111851 - 16), so I am very interested in understanding this OTCA/HW transformation . I put this hull next to another - this one a 16 foot 'pure bred' OTCA - and other than deck style and trim materials, the two look nearly identical to me. Looking closely at the build record, I see that this boat was half built "as OTCA". What stage of construction coincides with 'half built'? If this is when the model change took place, perhaps this will be a clue as to just what , if anything, was changed. Secondly, can anyone describe to me the difference between an OTCA and a HW? If I had a 16 foot OTCA and a 16 foot HW, how would I tell them apart? Thanks in advance to all who can help me with figuring out what this hybrid really is. Looking forward to starting the restoration process. Lew.

The differences between the HW and Otca hulls can be subtle. The 1933 catalog lists a 16 foot long HW as being 33 inches wide, 12 inches deep, and 65 pounds while the 16 foot Otca is described as 34.5 inches wide, 13 inches deep, and 75 pounds. The Otca usually had long twenty inch decks and the HW had short decks. The Otca also has more tumblehome as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/hull-x-s.gif in the cross section diagram. My guess is that you really have an Otca and not some sort of a hybrid.

An Old Town canoe is "Half Built" when it comes off of the form and has the serial numbers stamped in the stems. Most model conversions occur just before the canoe is shipped out the door so there usually isn't enough time to make any substantial changes to the canoe. The note is added to the build record in case the customer ever notices and complains or wants replacement parts later.

Benson

Last edited:
Back