Old Town rowboat

Holtian

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
I have an Old Town square stern rowboat that we are refinishing. It's 14' long, cedar strip planking and ribs, three spruce seats, originally with a canvas skin. Is this the correct forum to discuss repairs?
Is it possible to post photos via this forum?
Thanks in advance,
Randy

Yep - good place to discuss repairs
Yep - Post photos using the attach files "manage attachments" section below your posting page - watch the size limits.

Post the serial number of the OT boat and we can probably get you the original build info.

Welcome to the WCHA Forums.

Hi Guys,
I have attached a few pictures of our Old Town boat.
One of the pictures shows the termination bar that we removed from the stern. It was used to terminate the fiberglass that the previous owner installed, and was mounted about one inch from the edge on the transom. I now believe that was not the original detail used for terminating the canvas at the stern. Has anyone ever seen this type of detail on an original Old Town rowboat?
The picture of the decal shows the original one, but I just got another one, different color/markings, from Old Town.
The boat number is branded into the keel and I sent it to OT for identification. They sent me the build list, identifying the exact boat, with all the dates during manufacturing, the materials used, etc. I also have an old brochure. It's a CS model, not top of the line.
We have now put on four coats of varnish and it needs a few more. It's also about time for the canvas to go back on. We bought 8 oz., but should have maybe used 10 oz....but, heck, it will be lighter! Also, I want to coat the cedar hull with linseed oil prior to installing the canvas. We have a dark green enamel for the finish.
The transom was painted and the green paint still shows a little. I believe the boat originally had a clear finish on the wood. Can anyone confirm?
It's great finding this site. We are enjoying the process of restoring this noble craft, and your collective knowlege and assistance is much appreciated.
Regards,
Randy Olson
Ithaca, NY

Attachments

• P10100013.JPG
    P10100013.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 500
  • P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 689
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 470
Randy - what is the serial # of your boat. We don't see too many row boats on the forum and I'd like to post the build record for all to see.

I'd also suggest you search the forum about using linseed oil - you could experience premature canvas rot. Regarding the decal, look in the WCHA store (on the main site). They have date appropriate reproduction decals available.

Last edited:
Mike,
The boat number is 148910. Boat was shipped from Old Town on July 14, 1947 to Glen City Garage, Watkins Glen, NY. It was dark green, CS grade, 14', with square stern, white cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, ash decks, and spruce thwarts. I bought it from a guy living on the east side of Seneca Lake, not far from my house.
Hope this helps.
Randy

Hi Mike,
I checked out the store and sure enough, decal was there. They have both the one that's on the boat, and the one that OT sent me Saturday. The one that is on the boat is for boats from 1900-1940, according to the note. The one that OT sent me is for boat from 1940-1950, which would be the correct decal for my boat if it was built in 1947, as I think it was.
Now the question is: Why would the earlier decal be on the boat? There was not on the OT decal, but also the Glen City decal (the dealer in Watkins Glen). I wonder if it was refinished and the wrong, earlier, decal was put on it. Any thoughts?
Randy

Why would the earlier decal be on the boat?

A couple of possible reasons - first, the decals that read "Old Town Boat" may not have the same time ranges as the ones that read "Old Town Canoe". Second is that older decals were known to be used after the newer ones were introduced - say, after a small stash was discovered in a drawer or something.

For all following this thread, here is the build record for this boat.

Randy - I get out to the fingerlakes often (have a place on Owasco) Feel free to contact me if you want to chat.

Attachments

• 148910.gif
    148910.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 382
Build list, linseed oil, Fingerlakes

Mike,
Not surprisingly, that's the same build list that OT sent me years ago.
I tried researching Linseed Oil by doing a quick search, but didn't find anything conclusive. I read nothing about detrimental effects to the canvas, but still want opinions from others. Or, can someone point me to a place on the WCHA site where the Archives are kept?
As for visiting the Fingerlakes, just give me a heads up when you are coming so I can make arrangements to meet you. Right now you can stop by and chat with us while we are working on the boat on the weekend (we won't put you to work!). We are getting ready to put on the canvas, add the fifth coat of varnish, install the decal, refinish the floor rack and oars, and basically do the fun stuff. Or, if you get over here later we can maybe get out on the Cayuga Lake where the boat's kept during the short, busy summer.
Cheers,
Randy

Re: the build record - yep, just wanted to post it for the benefit of other forum members who like to keep track of such things.

Re: the Linseed oil - there is some school of thought that it promotes fungus/mildew under the canvas. The old filler recipes had a ton of white lead in them which helped keep the canvas from rotting - in our environmentally correct world, we have learned that lead is not such a good thing for other reasons. Adding some mildewcide packets or using treated canvas should help. Take a look at:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=3136&highlight=linseed+oil+hull
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=1228&highlight=linseed+oil+hull

Your mileage may vary - just a point of information for you to consider.

Old Town square stern

Hi again,
We are slowly but surely renewing the finishes on the row boat. Now I have a question that I think is worthy of asking: How is the exterior side of the stern sealed where the boards meet?
Basically, the stern is comprised of about 5 or 6 boards that are glued together with a spline down the center of the joint. The joint between some of the boards has partially opened up. The previous owner had wiped silicone caulk into the joint.
I removed as much of the silicone as possible, then wiped filler, like the goop used to terminate the canvas at the stern and bow, into the crack. It should take a stain. Then I plan to varnish the stern with Epiphanes gloss, making the wood (and the joints) visible. There is no canvas on the stern.
So, is the filler the correct material to use for sealing these joints? Or, is something else better? Any other comments?
I attached a few pictures to show you our progress.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Regards,
Randy

I think a bedding compound like Dolfinite or West Marine's Boatyard might be more appropriate - it has flex so that the normal movement of the wood can occur and does not dry hard like a filler.

Are you sure the original did not have canvas?

The filler that I put in the cracks between the stern boards is bedding compound that I got from Jack McGrievey, a well-known canvas canoe restorer in this area. I think he makes it up himself, but I could be wrong. It has the consistency of putty, like the type you would use to set glass in a window sash, but maybe a little stiffer. I think it might eventually harden, but maybe not. We used it for sealing between the canvas and the wood transom, so it has to keep water out or else we are literally sunk.
As for whether the stern was originally painted or varnished I don't really know for sure. I've tried to find pictures of other Old Town boats of the era and I saw one or two with varnish. Plus, I like the look of it. It's nice to express the wood on the exterior of the boat, almost like showing it off. Let me know what others think was original, enamel or varnish.
The attached pictures show where we are with the stern.
Thanks,
Randy

Attachments

• CanvasFilled 007.jpg
    CanvasFilled 007.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 351
  • CanvasFilled 008.jpg
    CanvasFilled 008.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 339
OK - we just have a terminology problem. When you said filler, I assumed you meant the filler used on the canvas. The compound you describe sounds like a bedding compound and you are good to go!

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the stern should be painted, or would it be more original to apply a clear varnish?
Thanks,
Randy

OT rowboat - restored!

All,
Attached are a few pictures of the Old Town rowboat we restored over the winter. Except for a few more coats of varnish on the oars, and a brass plate for the stern to mount a motor, we are done, I think. It's going into Cayuga Lake soon, where it should be...especially on a day like this when it's going to be close to 95 F degrees.
I am glad we didn't repaint the stern or the front part of the keel...it looks great with varnish. All of the old hardware was reinstalled, plus the drawer under the seat. The new decal helps finish it off nicely.
Thanks to all that helped with some of the decisions on how to do things., and for the encouragement. It was a lot of work, and I hope we don't have to do it again for a while.
Regards,
Randy
Trumansburg, NY

Attachments

• Old Town restored 007.jpg
    Old Town restored 007.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Old Town restored 012.jpg
    Old Town restored 012.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 574
  • Old Town restored 014.jpg
    Old Town restored 014.jpg