Old Town OTCA16 serial number UK

Andy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi I have just purchased an OTCA16 serial number 367897 16 can you give me any info on age of boat etc and how it is in UK the person I bought it from obtained it from a furniture auction in 2000. Condition is v good with only minor blemishes to fiberglass covering.

Andy

I would dearly love to find out how your Otca traveled across The Big Pond, but unfortunately our serial number scans only go through 210999-- which ends in the mid-1970s. Old Town stopped keeping records in the 1990s, and my guess is that your canoe dates from a time after that. 235XXX was shipped in 1989.

I know there was a recent discussion re repairing damage to the surface of a factory-glassed canoe such as yours--- if you experiment with the "search" function (above), you may find that thread... if your canoe needs any attention.

Otherwise, enjoy! And there IS a chapter of the WCHA in the UK... and we do love seeing pictures of wooden canoes being paddled in interesting places...

Kathy

If your canoe has a tag on the starboard stern like the one shown below then you can get the shipping date from there. This one shipped in 1981 for example. The page at http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm has more information about how to interpret these numbers and how they have changed over the years.

Benson

Attachments

• 237021.jpg
    237021.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for the information. There is no metal tag so I guess I will never get the actual date so will just have to wait until the lakes defrost then I ca get out paddling. Andy:)

Back