Old Town? no s.n. yet

mtapia

Curious about Wooden Canoes
It'll be great if you can help me identify this canoe (my first attempt at identifying a wooden canoe, and hopefully bringing her back to life). The previous owner said he bought she two years ago (for a restoration attempt that never materialized), and then the previous-previous owner claimed that he had the canoe for about 35 years, and that she was already an used canoe on that time. He said too that the canoe is an Old Town.

She is 16', and beam seems close to 32'' but very hard to tell (you will see the pictures), depth is about 12''. Serial number seems non existent, but very deep below the deck in the bow it could be something, I will try to get there and see; in general the s.n. were placed very forward, or relatively backwards on the stems?

Well, other details I noted and that I hope can help:

- I saw in other threads that Old Town used some sort of "diamond heads" on bolts, nothing of that in this canoe.

- The seats have a separate piece of wood to hold the caning in place, which actually is screwed to the main seat frame, as opposed to the "carved slot" that at least is common today.

So, I will try to explore more the s.n. and provide more pictures of any detail that you may want to see in order to help with the identification. I recognize I'm curious about the manufacturing date and corresponding data, but I would really appreciate to be able to identify her kind at least, so that I can use the information to bring her back to life with a shape as close as possible to the original one.

Thanks, and all feedback will be very welcome!

mario

Attachments

• P1070804.JPG
    P1070804.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 265
  • P1070796.JPG
    P1070796.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 247
  • P1070793.JPG
    P1070793.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 242
  • P1070794.JPG
    P1070794.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 248
  • P1070807.JPG
    P1070807.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 247
  • P1070811.JPG
    P1070811.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 248
Thanks a lot Dan! That's extremely useful information, and I have been able to find other threads about Mullins canoes in the forums.

mario

Back