Old Town barn find

frkamerling

Curious about Wooden Canoes
My son's wife's family have had an Old Town canoe tucked away in their camp's storage area for years and asked if I could help them find any information as to it's age, model, etc. The serial number is 36593. My son gave me the number, but he didn't recall seeing the extra 2 digits to identify the length!? Judging by what appears to be the full range of options: Long, combed decks, all mahogony trim, floor rack and outside stems, it appears to be a AA grade. Does a build sheet exist for this boat?

Old Town 36593 is an AA (first) grade, 17 foot Otca model canoe finished from February to May of 1915. It has open mahogany gunwales and ash decks, thwarts, and seat frames, was fitted with a keel, outside stems and a floor rack. Original color was dark olive green. It was shipped to St. Albans, VT, on May 15, 1915. Old Town canoes generally have a space after the serial number and then have the length of the canoe but you might find this number is obscured by gunk that can be removed. The number should be on both stems. AA grade canoes usually have mahogany decks/thwarts/seats, so this is different or may have been written down wrong on the record. As you are in Vermont and the canoe seems right in other ways, this may be your canoe. Posting pictures would help too.

Image of the scan of this record is attached below-- click on it to get a larger image.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available athttp://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

More information on the Old Town Company can be found in Sue Audette's book "Old Town, Our First Hundred Years", which is available through the WCHA store and most booksellers, eBay, Amazon, and public libraries.

Kathy

Attachments

• ot36593.jpg
    ot36593.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 197
Thanks Kathy. I'll pass the info to my Son, Mike and he will give it to his wife's Mom, a life long Vermonter and native of St. Albans. Her Lake Champlain camp is just across the bay in North Hero, VT, so this canoe hasn't traveled far from it's original destination. I'll let you know if there is any more "backstory" on this beauty. Who knows, maybe there will be some local history of the original owner, Miss Helen L. Little. Although I have only seen her hanging in storage, the lines seem true and the stems feel solid. Hopefully, I can persuade them into restoring this gem to her former glory.
I'm looking forward to your Morris presentation at Assembly.
Thank you so much,
Fred Kamerling,
WCHA #9150

Sounds like the record is the right one, Fred! I find it very interesting that canoes don't seem to move around much in 100 years... until recently, when they end up on craigslist and eBay, etc.

Glad you're coming to the Assembly!

Kathy

Sounds like the record is the right one, Fred! I find it very interesting that canoes don't seem to move around much in 100 years... until recently, when they end up on craigslist and eBay, etc.

Kathy

Here's an update on the "Helen Little" Old Town canoe; my son's wife's grew up next door to the Little family in St. Albans, VT! Her parents bought the canoe from them around 1950 and it has been in their family since then. So, this canoe has only had 2 owners since it was shipped 100 years ago! That said, the canoe is about to move on to the third owners; my daughter-in-law's mom GAVE the canoe to her and my son AND, he wants me to help him with the restoration this winter! I've never done this kind of work before, so hopefully i'll be able to accumulate some tools, knowledge and helpful hints at assembly.
Thanks again Kathy, and WCHA!
Fred

Kathy

Here's an update on the "Helen Little" Old Town canoe; my son's wife's mom grew up next door to the Little family in St. Albans, VT! Her parents bought the canoe from them around 1950 and it has been in their family since then. So, this canoe has only had 2 owners since it was shipped 100 years ago! That said, the canoe is about to move on to the third owners; my daughter-in-law's mom GAVE the canoe to her and my son AND, he wants me to help him with the restoration this winter! I've never done this kind of work before, so hopefully i'll be able to accumulate some tools, knowledge and helpful hints at assembly.
Thanks again Kathy, and WCHA!
Fred

The Annual Assembly is a great place to connect with others who have worked on canoes. There'll be people working on a canoe in one of the tents, and you can watch and even give them a hand. Plus, there'll be books for sale, such as "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" by Stelmok and Thurlow-- considered "the bible of canoe restoration." Again, I'm so glad you'll be coming to the Assembly. I'll probably be hanging out in the Store much of the time, if you want to say "hi".

Kathy

Back