Old Town and Thompson Brothers

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
I am trying to help someone figure out the history of their family canoe. Does anyone know if these two companies ever built canoes together? The man who restored the canoe long ago bought OT parts to repair his Thompson. The deck is definitely Thompson with brass identification plate on it. Were some of the parts, ribs, planking… interchangeable? No serial number has been found on the stem yet. Any information would be helpful to me to help clarify for the family.
Thanks

Norm,
I see a lot of Thompson watercraft here in northern Wisconsin. I have seen Thompson canoes repaired and restored with Old Town parts. I assume it was because they were readily available.
I’ve never heard of any collaborations between the two companies.

I agree with Dave and have never heard of any collaborations between the two companies. Many Thompsons (and other brands) were repaired with Old Town parts. This is why the presence of diamond headed bolts does not confirm that a canoe is an Old Town. The repair records below show a Thompson canoe that was repaired at Old Town in 1966 and 1967.

Some Thompsons have serial numbers in various locations but they didn't start until after circa 1947. There are no known records available. There may not be much more history available.

Benson

1532.jpg

1533.jpg

1535.jpg

Back