Old Town #6501

Tim Woods

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently purchased this canoe. Can you please send me a copy of the build record? The canoe will require some minor repairs and new canvas but it has been very well maintained and cared for. Thank you.

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 6501 is a 16 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Charles River model with red western cedar planking, a keel, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, open mahogany gunwales, and half ribs. It was built between March and May, 1907. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 11th, 1907 to Rome(?), New York. A scan of this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-6501.gif

Hi Tim - It would be helpful if you could post details about your canoe, especially in photos. There were many makers of wooden canoes and a variety of them used 4-digit serial numbers. Also, sometimes one or more digits of a serial number can be obscured and the canoe's details can help point not only to its make but also the era in which it was made. Yours may be an Old Town, or it may have Old Town parts added during previous work. Anyway, photos will help.

Thank you! I just re-joined after a long lapse in membership. The project to digitize records like this is just incredible. Thank you!
I’m looking forward to bringing this beautiful canoe back into shape. I must say, I was not expecting such an old boat when I bought it - the serial numbers were well protected under the passage of 117 years. The spiral seat post spacers and the absence of diamond headed bolts had me hopeful though. I am just astonished at how well preserved this boat is (original color, no sign of ever having been re canvased, no broken ribs or sheeting, minor repair done to one outwale, stems and decks in great shape). And the canoes shape has not been compromised in any way. What a find!

I was also surprised the serial number was not followed by the length. What year did Old Town start adding length after the build number? Also, the bang plate is of very thin brass; is this normal for this era? Thanks again for the information.

IMG_8183.jpeg

What year did Old Town start adding length after the build number?

The length digits may be on the left before your serial number as shown in the examples below. The thin brass bang plate may not be original. See the link below for a similar canoe with the same "spiral seat post spacers." Nice find,

Benson

5835-stern.jpg

6508.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again. I was expecting the length numbers to be in closer proximity to the serial number.

Tim - this is a nice one! Love those spiral seat spacers. These early AA-grade Old Towns are fine canoes. Please keep us posted on the restoration. And welcome back to the WCHA after a long absence! Perhaps you can join us for Assembly this year at Paul Smith's College, not too far from home for you.

Michael

Hi TIM and welcome . I have the same OT Ideal boat , built early in 1908 and sent to Scrantom Hardware in Rochester as had another 1907 OTCA , owned by Benson . These spooled seat drops and plugged fastener holes in the outwales are quite elegant and a shame they had to to move on to the alternatives. Mine used flat sawn for every plank and interestingly no surface has cupped . The grain is beyond striking and an absolute stunner when seen for the first time. Your stem band doesn't look original , but will look fine with what is an appropriate replacement readily available today.
The mahogany on these older boat is very nice. As others are adverse to any treatment of the wood, I'll refrain from making any suggestions . I hope to get to the Assembly and you will see another approach. I'll try to bring some pics of my 08 with an interesting lady bug oak leaf at the bow.
Have fun . DAVE

Thanks Dave. #6501 was shipped to a family pharmacist in Rome NY - just about 8 miles from where I found it. I used to rely on a shop in Cohoes, NY for Old Town hardware for rebuilds. I have not investigated if they are still in business. I don't expect any issues finding the right stem bands and fasteners. I'm sure I will hit up this forum when I start shopping for canvas and filler. And I'd like to find the appropriate seat post drops (I'm missing three of the posts for the stern seat).

I have two Fraser canoes to rebuild as well (from the original Chestnut molds - 17' Cruiser & 18' Prospector) These were built by Don Fraser in the early 1980's and have been well used. It's been about 30 years but I restored a few Old Town's for a ADK Great Camp and a private customer. I really enjoyed it and look forward to getting these canoes back in shape.

As for Assembly - it is just up the road from me but I'm afraid I wont be able to attend due to other plans. Thanks for the note. Your collection sounds great. Nothing like paddling an old piece of art.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, the Northeast Woodworker Association, based here in Albany NY, has a number of sub-groups. Among them are the "turners" who make amazing creations on their lathes. I suspect you could find someone who would duplicate your existing seat drops.

Tim, the Northeast Woodworker Association, based here in Albany NY, has a number of sub-groups. Among them are the "turners" who make amazing creations on their lathes. I suspect you could find someone who would duplicate your existing seat drops.
Thank you.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used some turned wood for seat drops a couple times. I made them from junked wooden chair spindles.
Not spiral, but fancier than stock drops.

I can get those seat posts made for ya. Send me one as a pattern.
Thanks Chris. I have the four for the bow seat and one of four for the stern seat. I'm not sure the four stern posts are all the same length. I'll measure the bolts to see. I just started the process of stripping the paint and varnish layers yesterday and will be spending some more time on it later this afternoon. Please email me at tim@woodsvalleyskiarea.com with your mailing address. I'll send you a sample of the bow post and the one stern post I have - along with measurements of the forward and rear stern bolts. Thank you. Tim

They used four drops on the stern seat!?

The one at the link below has only two short turned drops on the back.

Benson

Back