Old town 20 ft guide 167158

Glenn Douma

Do you have the build sheet for this canoe? Would like to know original color, did it have a keel and where it was delivered to.
Also the canoe was recovered in canvas about 20 years ago and has one small paint chip which I wanted to touch up. I was wondering if this red color might have been an old town paint and if touch up paint is available.

Attachments

• canoe 6.jpg
    canoe 6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 312
  • conoe6.jpg
    conoe6.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 333
This came to my desk

Hi,

I sent this message hoping this gentleman would be able to help me with the value of an Old Town canoe. He was able to give me some information. I've attached his e-mail. I am trying to sell the canoe and I'm looking for a fair price. All I can tell you about the canoe is I am selling it for the second owner. They tell me it was originally green. It was refinished 40 years ago and has not been is the water since they owned it. The seat backs are original. The oars are Old Town but not original to the canoe. I spoke with you this afternoon. I have attached pictures as you requested. I don't need a written appraisal. I was thinking of selling the canoe on e-bay, unless you have a different suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 167148.Guide.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 358
  • Picture 729.jpg
    Picture 729.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 330
20 ft old town guide canoe

Thanks for the information on my new canoe. Any ideas on touchup paint. I would assume enamel. Does old town sell touch up paint? Did they sell original paint colors( bright red paint) about 40 years ago for refinishing? If not I will try to match the color.

To keep the finish nice is wax used on these?

Dear Glenn,

Yes this could be an Old Town red. But it’s unlikely that any color straight out of the can will match after so long. I would suggest finding a close math in any good quality Marine deck enamel.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_category.do?categoryName=Topside+Paint&categoryId=34&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=marine_deck_paint

I like to use Carnauba wax.

Sincerely,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Back