Need Morris ID help

bobw

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I need help identificying a Morris - serial number 6586

Supposedly it is a 1908 18 foot, with Seats, Thwarts, and Deck of mahogany

Morris 6586 was discussed recently in these forums at:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=5815

For Morris information in general, you may want to check out www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ and scroll to "BN Morris" on the left and click on that.

I've made a couple of Morris ID/information videos at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAz-rspieqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN462MWTABc

The videos should give you some general information about Morris canoes, based on what we know from looking at the canoes that exist today and a limited amount of paper documentation, oral history, etc. The Morris factory burned December 15, 1919 and was not rebuilt.

Canoe 6586 is a B.N. Morris, which is a first-grade canoe, which means the trim (decks/thwarts/seats) are mahogany. These canoes had spruce rails unless the customer requested mahogany. I believe this information is in our previous discussion of 6586, and I believe the videos will explain to you what is meant by "pocketed ribs" and the fact that the inwales are spruce (on closed gunwale canoes) even if the customer has requested mahogany.

There are discussions of the Morris canoe and on-going research in several back issues of "Wooden Canoe". Let me know if you are interested in any of the articles, or if there are any other questions after you've read the other post and watched the videos. If you don't have high-speed internet access, I'd be happy to explain the Morris to you in this spot, but "a picture is worth a thousand words".

I can't vouch for this particular canoe because I haven't inspected it in person, so my information is based mostly on Morris canoes in general and on placing the serial number 6586 into our database to see what that might tell us. 6586 is the highest serial number in our database on an oval tag placed on the inwale. Somewhere in the 6XXX sequence, the numbers were placed on a more rectangular plate that was affixed to the stem, and this was the location of the serial number on most Morris canoes until the business ended.

Several of our members have restored Morris canoes and could provide you with suggestions if you are planning to restore the canoe yourself.

Kathy

P.s.

Forgot to mention that an 18 foot Morris originally had three thwarts, but the middle thwart often went missing because it was on wing-nuts for easy removal (so the canoe could be loaded up with people and dogs and other stuff).

Forgot to mention that an 18 foot Morris originally had three thwarts, but the middle thwart often went missing because it was on wing-nuts for easy removal (so the canoe could be loaded up with people and dogs and other stuff).

This canoe has a replacement center thwart but the original wing nuts.
The rails are pocketed spruce. One is broken in two places, where the thwarts attach. Seats, decks and two thwarts are original.

Sounds like it's in very good shape for its age. The one I used in the video needs a lot of help!

Our 17 foot Morris "second grade, factory-direct" Veazie canoe has no sign of ever having had a center thwart-- wing-nuts or not.

Kathy

Sounds like it's in very good shape for its age.
Kathy

The canoe is restorable although it is impossible to to how good the stems are until the fiberglass is removed. It looks like there is some coloration in the wood from water sitting between the glass and the wood. Whether or not there is rot was impossible to assess. It did not look like it.
The canoe is in pretty good shape . It has kept it's shape except in the bow where the broken deck has allowed a small amount of separation. As noted, it needs one inside rail. I think the other side is good. It needs at least 14 ribs and some planking. Several of the planks in the bottom have been replaced at some point, likely when it was fiber-glassed. You can see the rail-cap condition. They will need to be replaced but that is quite normal for these. All in all, a nice old canoe that someone can restore to very presentable shape.

MGC,
Wanted to let you know that Kathryn is not feeling well and it may be a few days before she responds. Just so you don't think she is ignoring you.
Denis :(

No reply required, I was only adding information to this thread.
I hope Kathryn feels better soon. She must be quite ill if she is not able to comment about a Morris.

Back