Mystery wood. Huron?

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
Any ideas? could it be a Huron?

Can't read the serial number.

007.JPG010.jpg005.jpg001.jpg003.jpg

The hurons are most distinquishable by the inwales that are notched into the deck and do not run all the way to the stems. To cover the joint and the poorly fit decks near stem, there will be a 1/8 strip of wood that sits on top of the inwale to cover joinery and raise the height of the inwale to the outwale. And they usually had rawhide seats that were sewn by first nation people. Seats are often worth more than the whole boat.

A pre-fire Chestnut should have a little crown on the decks and more tumble-home to the sides. Lacking more detailed photos I would venture a guess that it is a 1920's Canadian Canoe Co. canoe.

Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company
Buckhorn, Ontario
http://www.buckhorncanoes.com

Last edited:
The old style Chestnut decks not only had the crowning, but were significantly undercut across the whole exposed edge, leaving about a 3/16" flat. The crowning usually extended over to how the gunnels were shaped, too, the whole being shaped to a nice gently rounded surface.

My first thoughts were that this is not a Huron. Doesn't look like any that I've seen and I've seen a lot. They look as described by Rod. The deck makes me think of old Chestnut, but the thwarts aren't right for that.

Back