Mystery Canoe 2

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
The same fella has this second canoe, which may be a good restoration project for Andre:eek:.

I will throw this one out there too for your ID'ing pleasure.

Attachments

• MysteryCanoe2Edit.jpg
    MysteryCanoe2Edit.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 612
  • MysteryCanoe2InteriorEdit.jpg
    MysteryCanoe2InteriorEdit.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 611
  • MysteryCanoeDeckEdit.jpg
    MysteryCanoeDeckEdit.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 589
Slow starter

Andre, this is why the fates have blessed you with a courting canoe project. It took me 4 long years to accomplish what I am convinced could have been achieved in " one hot summer " had the BLUEBELL been available. Can't wait to see her launched. Dave DeVivo

wow

I saw one diamond head bolt and one round head. Finally, a canoe that I would vote with Andre' to burn it. but it must be a respectful fire. Set by a well manicured individual of good character.

I really like the shape. Too bad about the planking.
Are the ribs mostly sound?

No idea on manufacturer, though Kathy's guess of Faber wouldn't surprise me.

really slow starter..

Dave, I dont think Bluebell started out this bad, but I'm going to see it through. I'll tell you one thing, if the guys who built these boats cut the shims and bevels freehand then I'm amazed. They do have lovely lines and tumblehome though. Tomorrow I'm laminating new inner stems from strips of ash; thank god for epoxy on this one. Its very nice work how the shims on the gunwales taper and extend past the rails to cover the width of the top plank, which of course is never seen when the canvas and decking and coamings are on.

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 486
Nothing wrong with marinating inner stems never to be seen again, there's no failure rate and no springback to contend with. Besides, if I cant take a few liberties with the restoration of a wreck then I'll just burn it:p

Stem work

YUP, I say as they do in Maine, Hang tua, Andre. I never did a full laminate, rather just the face when it has been treated poorly. Do you need to drill pilot holes for plank fasteners ? I typically use copper-plated weather strip steel nails, that are just the right gauge and length. Usually I cannot get into the epoxy line without drilling a lead hole. Always something to learn, and good fun. Dave DeVivo

Stems for Dave

Stir, laminate, clamp, wait 24hr and saw in half. The inners are for all purposes gone, just fragments left to indicate the bevel and depth. I do have one tip left with the full width top and inlet area for top plank. I like pilot holes, and will likely drill them in the stems same as I do near the edge of planking, in both red and white cedar. I am going to fill all the gunwale holes as well, and saturate them along with the wedges to give them some strength as well as something for new fasteners to bite into. Rebuilding the rib tips will be fun, all of them on one side and half on the other. Fun, wow.

Hall of Flame, oh thats good!

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 452
Dave DeVivo lies

This is not a restoration, its an archaeological dig site. For your amusement....:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_4063.jpg
    IMG_4063.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 463
Andre's shims

Andre, I reviewed several times the closeups of the shims you mentioned as I had not recalled ever having seen this on Boston boats. Finally I got the picture and this is new to me. All my boats have single piece inwales installed with the widest dimension to the top of the wale. It appears that your inwale becomes very deep with the shim. Do I have this correctly ? From your commentary, it seems you are sure the shims are original. Could this be some sort of a factory change/experiment...etc ? Could it be a later change by another builder ?
What is the hull depth to the rib surface ? I think you should photo all this prior to covering her up. You may have a fun one here in more ways than one. Dave DeVivo

Yes Dave, the wales are 2 piece, with a shim the length of the wales that is almost 1/2 the height of the wale underneath. The shims of course start after the coaming supports and are in pieces between the deck beams. The top portion is inletted for the coaming supports, I'll shoot some more photos that better show the arrangement. It does not have the shim arrangement near the ends like I saw on a boat I shoved my camera up under at assembly. Its definitely original as the trims and coamings coming off were original to the boat, and it is all fastened consistently with the same steel nails and screws.
Thanks for the insight and comments, much appreciated as I'm in unfamiliar waters.

dimensions and details

more shots
Further to the question of originality, note that the coaming screw holes are all in the shim and there are no others to suggest modifications or replacement, either in the inwale or the shim.

Attachments

• IMG_4069.jpg
    IMG_4069.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_4076.jpg
    IMG_4076.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_4070.jpg
    IMG_4070.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 435
For the life of me guys, I can't figure out what you are refering to as a shim? Illuminate me please old Mystic ones.

Back