Morris Painter Rings For Stems

charvey

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Can someone please shed some insight on correct Morris Painter rings pad eyes. Not the deck mounted rings, but the pad eye plate type that were secured to the stems. What are dimensions (length/width/height), counterbored screw holes or not, and typically distance mounted from the number tag. Photo would also be appreciated. I’m leaning toward fabricating some for my two Morris canoes, but I’m unable to reference anything for comparison. Also, were these only on bow, or were they on both ends? Thanks

Here are two photos -- you should be able to estimate size pretty well. I don't know whether either or both are original.

DSC_0179s.jpg
Morris 14919 stem.jpg

Thanks Greg. The 9246 Morris appears correct from the catalog photos I’ve viewed. I notice no countersunk screws and a very thin gauge plate. Almost the same gauge as the number plate. This one looks pretty straightforward to replicate. 14919 Morris has what looks like a window sash pull or a line guide.

Painter ring from my Morris #8971-
Bottom plate - 1.815 long × .890 wide × .062 thick.
4 holes .203 diameter on 1.263 centers × .428 centers. Holes are countersunk on top of plate only to .323 diameter.
Painter ring is a U shape 13/16" high and is .187 diameter on .711 centers. Inside width of ring is .523. Bottom side of plate is countersunk for the ring which is peened over.
Both plate and ring are brass.
Hope this helps.

Craig, exactly what I was seeking. Very interesting that the hoop was peened over to secure, not what I was expecting. I still might try peening and brazing. I think I can very easily make these reproductions. Many thanks. Chris

Back