Morris "flag poles"

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I am restoring a Morris that has holes in the decks for "flag poles". I will be making new poles for the bow and stern out of mahogany. Does anyone have the overall length, the length above the decks, the diameter at the deck and the diameter at the top? Thanks for any info!

Morris canoes could be had with a socket for a burgee flagstaff -- see item 32 from the 1917 catalogue:

PAGE-30.GIF PAGE-31.GIF

The holes in your deck are probably for such a socket, as this on the stern deck of Morris 6466 (there is also one in the bow deck on this canoe):

sm 100_1924.jpg sm 100_1925.jpg sm 100_1927.jpg

As far as I know, Morris did not supply the flagstaff or the burgee -- presumably any flagstaff that would fit the socket and was of a size appropriate for the size of your deck and your burgee would be what you want. I think you should be looking for the socket(s) before you worry about the size of the flagstaff.

Morris did in fact offer one flagpole option - note number 31 in the above catalog pages.

There is a pair of very similar flagpoles with the eagle tip at Mystic Seaport, accompanying a Robertson lapstrake canoe.

Back