Morris flag and flag pole details

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
I'm posting this for aother member who can't log in....

Anybody know the details of the early Morris flags and flag poles?

In his words:
"I'm trying to find information on Morris Canoe flag pole design and dimensions for both the flag pole, and flag.
The Canoe we are restoring at UBB is circa 1912-15 with long decks and flag pole holders but no flags."

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan-- I don't know of any Morris flags (burgees)-- none were listed in Morris catalogs that are known to exist. Generally speaking, the purpose of the flag pole was to display something personal to the canoe owner, not the canoe builder. For instance, if the canoe owner was a member of the WCHA, he or she might fly a WCHA burgee.

Listed in the Morris catalogs is a brass flag pole topped with an eagle. I know of only one example, and took a picture of it at the recent Annual Assembly. It's also pictured on page 101 of "The Morris Canoe: Legacy of an American Family".

The flag pole was placed into diamond-shaped pennant holder, affixed to the deck (bow or stern or both). Old originals can be found, but might require a wait and continual eBay searches and trips to events where such things might be in the possession of vendors. I did find two, so it isn't impossible. Robert Ross sells reproductions.

I've attached the image from a Morris catalog (from the catalog CD available via the WCHA Store)-- item #31 is the Morris flag pole with eagle finial. And I've attached the eagle, up-close-and-personal, that attended the Assembly. I failed to take measurements--- this is something that falls out of my head when I am having fun. (Stop that-- having fun! This is research!!!) But I could pester the owner of the flag poles with eagles to take some measurements. My feeling is that one could create similar poles using modern eagle finials.

Kathy

Attachments

• eagle pole morris.jpg
    eagle pole morris.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 252
  • repair parts morris.jpg
    repair parts morris.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 240
Morris flag poles and eagles

Thanks Kathy,

I'll point him to this.

Dan

I was fortunate to get two eagles along with parts of two broken flag poles when I acquired my Morris a few years ago. The eagles are 2" wide from wingtip to wingtip and are 2 1/4" tall from top of head to bottom of "ball". The poles are 17 1/2" tall above the deck, are 3/8" at the top and taper to 1/2" at the deck. They were originally mahogany, but I made my new ones from black walnut. I hope this helps for your Morris.

Attachments

• DSC_0317.jpg
    DSC_0317.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0318.jpg
    DSC_0318.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_0319.jpg
    DSC_0319.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg