Courting canoe ID?

normsims

Morris canoe fan
In Memoriam
This canoe belonged to a prominent Boston family. The family bought the canoe in 1920, and the descendants believe it is an Old Town. It’s unclear whether or not the canoe was new when purchased. It's now on display in a restaurant.

Length measured between 15’6” and 15’8” but the external stems have been removed. It has a serial number on the inside stern stem: probably 225 16. Amidships, the width is 27 inches to the inside of the gunwales, 30 inches to the outside. At the widest point on the hull, it measures 32 inches, giving the canoe an inch of tumblehome on both sides.

The gunwale is made of two pieces. The large main gunwale is shaped to slope outward at the top. On the inside there is a cap that mimics the shape of the combing at the end of the decks. The ribs run up between the gunwale and the planking, but there are no pockets for the ribs as would be found on a Morris canoe.

The extended decks measure 34 1/2 inches.

The stern seat, which seems original, is 17 inches from the rear deck. There was no front seat. Some hardware and a notch in the gunwale indicates there was a thwart (now missing) located about 15 inches from the front deck. The thwart was around 5 3/4 inches wide at the gunwales.

It shows no signs of having been built at the Old Town factory. No diamond head bolts. The serial number, while in the same pattern as Old Town numbers, is way too small for Old Town. It may have been a courting canoe from one of the Boston makers, but one substantial enough to put serial numbers in the canoes.

Does anyone have any ideas who the builder may have been, and when? Thanks.

Norm Sims

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 385
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 358
I am not an expert on Charles River area canoes but my guess is that this one is from Alden Kingsbury based on the side bevels at the end of the inside stem and the serial number font. It is clearly not an Old Town.

Benson

Benson,
Thanks. I know there are probably no records of serial numbers. But would anyone have any idea of how old a canoe with number 225 might be?

Norm

The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?13138 indicates that Kingsbury started building in 1914. He is listed in the 1916 New England Business directory as shown below but he was not shown in the 1912, 1918, or 1922 editions. I suspect that it would have taken him several years to finish 225 canoes so my guess is that this one is probably from the 1920s.

Kevin Martin has the Kingsbury forms now as described at http://kevinmartin.wcha.org/courting.php so you may get a better estimate from him. Please let us know if you come up with a better date. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• Kingsbury.jpg
    Kingsbury.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Could be a Kingsbury. The inside stem bevel near the numbers is an indicator but I understand some other companies did it too. The beam measurements are that of a Kingsbury. Most other builders models were not as narrow. The shape of the stem does not match my 16' Torpedo but I'm pretty sure they built another 16' model. Not sure on the age and Benson's guess seems right to me.
Kevin

Back