Materials for scale model canoes...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I imagine some of you make scale models of canoes to use as decorations - like something in the 18" to 24" length range. Where do you get your materials? I suppose wood can be planed to thickness, but do you use the came types of wood (ie, red/white cedar)? or are other types better suited for smaller scale - like maybe ash? Do you use tacks? or just glue things together? If tacks, would the small size stem tacks work? And is there a readily available source for hull shapes as it would be easy enough to make a small scale strong-back pattern.
Just thinking about a nice winter project...

There are a number of sources "on line" for canoe model kits which supply everything necessary except the patience. A few sources offer kits of varying size boats. Some name the different wood species that they use for each part of the boat which would give you a clue if you want to start from scratch. I've made a couple from kits and they are fun projects.

Cedar, mahogany, and spruce can work well for scale models. I understand that fruit woods can be a good replacement for woods with a heavy grain like oak. Mechanical fasteners like tacks and screws often won't hold when scaled down to model canoes smaller than about three feet in overall length. Glue is usually used instead for smaller models. Tacks for the four foot models come from sources that commonly use them for baskets. Chris Pearson has made some some amazing models so search for his messages here and at http://pearsoncanoemodels.homestead.com/new-cover-page.html on his web site. Good luck,

Benson

Thanks for the info Benson. I've written to Chris to see just what he offers. The canoes shown on his web site look amazing.

Chris has done some truly amazing models over the years. The White model described and shown at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?11942 was painted by Jerry Stelmok and sold at the 2014 Assembly auction.

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 239
Haven't received a reply from Chris yet... The thing I'm most curious about is whether he replicates 'canvas' on his models, and if so what material he uses. Silk? And does he 'fill' it or just paint it? And I assume steaming the wood isn't necessary - I imagine immersion boiling water would do. Anybody know???

A lot of your questions are answered in Chris's article on building model canoes that appeared in Wooden Canoe issue 53.

Dan

Back