Make of WC Boat

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Got this WC boat at an auction for $50....No identifications or numbers anywhere on it....Does anyone have any ideas on who could have made it? I was told that it possibly could have come from the Sebago canoe company and there are no records or photos that I have found...Will try to show pics of before and after....ALSO!....There has been a lot of discussion on HIN numbers....I registered this without any problems but have a feeling some day I am gonna get grabbed for not having any....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Its put away for the winter now...but will address this problem again in the spring...Thanks

Last edited:
OOPS!...forgot to mention that the deck is NOT original...Friend made this one of strip of Rosewood then 2 strips of Curly Maple and then Ash...Gonna try to attach some before pics for ID purposes.

Last edited:
It might be a Sebago but the transom bracing, motor cutout, and seat attachments don't look like anything that I saw in a quick review of their catalogs. You may want to get a copy of the new Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CDs available from http://merchandise.wcha.org/ and http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm to see if you can find a better match. Most companies appear to have run their transom braces in the opposite direction. Please reply here if you ever figure out who made it.

Benson

Thanks for the response Benson:) I figured if anyone would have some idea, you or dragonfly would....Have had it out fishing with a 5 1/2 motor and it is a wonderful and stable fishing craft....I now understand the difference with the WC's and those made of metal or other materials..it is amazing that you are able to shut the motor off and paddle sideways right up to a beach and step off without even getting your feet wet. This was my first recover and I used all the existing wood except for that deck!...Have finished a 65 OTCA, working on a Chestnut and then will tackle a White Boy Scout...My FLEET is growing!:eek:

Sebago

Enclosed are some photos of a known Sebago. Good ear marks are the top plates on the bow and bracing on the transom.

Sincerely,
Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Thanks for the pics of that Sebago. I am convinced that this IS one of their boats that someone did some modifications at some point. It does have those plates both on the deck and on the rear. I believe that the transom braces are not original and that seats and braces had been replaced.. am keeping these photos and come spring will begin to modify those areas to more resemble the originals...Not a restoration, but at least trying to get back there somewhat to original design...Thanks again for the pics.
PS: Did they have numbers on the inner stem? There is something there but I cant tell if it is.

Back