Canoe Identification

Larry S

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have an OTCA that I bought new in 1964 and I'm getting ready to recanvas. It has 1 broken rib and 3 that are seriously cracked and a couple of holes in the planking. I have never recanvased a boat or steam bent wood. I thought it would be a good idea to pick up another boat to "practice" on.

I rescued the "practice" boat from the burn pile of a neighbor. I know nothing about the boat, except that it is very old. There are no numbers on the stems or anywhere else. The ends are very fine and at about the four foot mark, flare very rapidly to the mid section.

It appears to be made entirely or red cedar, except for the inwales, decks and keel. The inwales appear to be ash or spruce and the decks oak. I don't have the gunwales. The stem bands are laminated oak and the keel is the same as the inwales.

It appears to have been built as a work boat. The ribs ar 3/8 x 1 3/4 with no taper or rounded edges. Most of the ribs have their saw makrs. The builder wasn't very meticulous about the spacing. The planks are fastened with copper tacks.

I know that without any numbers it will probably be impossible to identify the boat precisely, but with the shape, materials used and type of construction, I hope to get an approximate age and place of origin.

As soon as I finish this email, I plan to start taking her apart. If I find any numbers, I will send them. I have photos but can't figure out how to attach them to this thread. If you know how to please let me know. Thanx.

Larry,

Send pic's from several angles including close-ups of the decks, ribs, etc., and the folks here may be able to help...also measurements like width, length and depth.

Ric Altfather

She measures 16' x 34" x 12". The ribs are NOT 3/8" thick as I previously stated, but are in fact 1/4" thick. I'm sure that the seats and thwarts are not original. The gray stuff on the hull is adhesive residue. The old canvas was glued on.

I've included some photos:

Attachments

• DSCN1924.JPG
    DSCN1924.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCN1925.JPG
    DSCN1925.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 380
  • DSCN1927.JPG
    DSCN1927.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN1931.JPG
    DSCN1931.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCN1932.JPG
    DSCN1932.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCN1933.JPG
    DSCN1933.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 349
Thank you Ric and Dan for your response to my inquiry. So far, more than 230 people have viewed the thread and I sitll don't know anything about the boat.

I put on my "Hisory Detective" hat and figured out that (1) the boat is at least 80 years old (2) that it is a working boat probably built for a guide or trapper, and (3) probably built by a one man shop whose name is lost to time.
I initially picked up the boat to practice on and that's what I'm going to do - with respect for her age. She lasted this long, I'm not going to be the one to mess her up now. The plans are to strip and bleach, replace 6 ribs, 10 feet of planking, varnish, recanvas and paint. I'll send along progress reports from time to time if anyone is interested.

Back